painting brass fireplace doors..

roorezziFebruary 20, 2006

DH and I just bought our first house. We have a fireplace but would like to do something to the doors. THey are brass and it doesn;t fit with our decor. Right now a new screen or doors is out of the question.

Heres a pic of the FP.

Can you paint over the brass or do something to give it a more antiqued look?

If so, can it be done in the house?

A FP is a new experience for us. ANy help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Ruth

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fourwheelin

You have a couple options. The brass could be either plated or solid. I would suspect it's plated but you could test it by sanding an edge where it won't be so noticeable first with 400 grit paper to be sure. Some finishes are also clear coated to protect against oxidation but that can be removed with thinner. If you want to paint it you'll first need to remove any clearcoat protection and then sand off the brass plating which will not be a fun job. Then a heavy defect covering primer, to hide those sanding marks, and high temp paint that works together with the primer could be applied. Another option is chemically altering the brass itself with a hobby/craft product like Blacken-it or similar home brew remedies that will change the color but will not rub off like paint can. Do a search for "metal finishing"+brass using say Google and you'll get some product direction. Hope this helps.

Bookmark   February 20, 2006 at 3:11PM
marian_1958

I just came across this posting. Did you ever paint the brass doors on the fireplace? I have the same problem with mine and don't know what to do with them.

Thanks

Bookmark   February 7, 2007 at 5:47PM
marybeth1

Hi, I came across this old thread and was wondering if anyone had used this blackin-it product on brass fireplace doors. I have the same doors as roorezzi and would like to change the shiny brass look .Anyone out their that has done it? Could you please post pictures.

Bookmark   July 6, 2008 at 11:45AM
dgmarie

A lot of people paint their doors with grill paint or automitve engine paint. anything to withstand high heat. Try the home decorating forum for MUCH more traffic.

Bookmark   July 9, 2008 at 5:07PM
rettaport_cox_net

Our frame and handles are brass, glass doors are black. We would like to paint just the frame as opposed to purchasing a whole glass doors, screens, etc.
Thanks,
Retta

Bookmark   July 1, 2011 at 5:47PM
debbie1000

I painted it with high heat black paint. I bought the smallest size available, not sure if it was a pint or a quart but it came out great and I have about 99% of the paint left.

It is an easy project and makes a world of difference. I lightly sanded the trim and then painted.

Bookmark   July 25, 2011 at 8:32PM
More Discussions
Hot wall
Hi , I've posted this here before but will try again...
salbwil
Non-angled corner fireplace?
How would you describe this fireplace? I've been trying...
fenix409
direct vent gas fireplace
Hello, I just bought a house and there is a Monessen...
shahgee84
Do I need a fireplace in Southern California
I am in the middle of renovations in my town home and...
LARemodel
Fireplace Options?
Looking to put a wood burning fireplace in our new...
rmverb
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™