Updating an old brick fireplace

greatauntiemFebruary 9, 2008

We bought a 100 year old home which has a red brick (non-working) fireplace with white mortar. It has a beautiful oak mantel, but the rest of it is ugly. We installed a very realistic crackling log electric insert which also is a heater, and which adds a homey look to the fireplace. Should I just paint the bricks a light color, or should I install an oak fireplace surround? The windows in the room are trimmed with oak crown moulding. I want to keep the fireplace consistent with the rest of the living room.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
green-zeus

A surround would look great. The exposed brick could be dressed up with slabs of granite cut in the exact dimensions of the exposed brick. The granite should have a finished edge on the firebox side, and molding on the fireplace surround would come up right next to the unfinished edge. The slabs are attached with thinset mortar. If you do this, be sure to grind most of the paint off the brick to give it enough "tooth" for the thinset to hold onto. Put the sides on first, then the top piece.

Bookmark   February 10, 2008 at 8:59AM
More Discussions
Jotul Kennebec
Well today is day two with my new Jotul fireplace insert...
turningpoint
Couple of questions about installing stone veneer
Little background - original lava rock fireplace was...
rosebay
Linear Fireplace
Can I put a 60 inch linear fireplace in place of this...
kjez2010
Do I need a fireplace in Southern California
I am in the middle of renovations in my town home and...
LARemodel
Converting wood fireplace to gas fireplace
Help, I'm overwhelmed. Any link to a good site that...
nosoccermom
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™