Difference between SmartStrand Silk lines

RacinReaverJanuary 13, 2013

Hi,

I'm in the market for some new carpet, and have found that I really like the Smartstrand Silk fiber. I'm a little frustrated at the moment, though, since I've gotten quotes from the local places selling the carpet, and while they feel very similar, they have a different style name. Vendors aren't being very forthcoming with info like twist/weight/etc, so all I really have to go on is what's on the back of the samples.

My two favorite styles are:
1V15 Gentle Essence
1V77 Mellow Haven

I can find info about Gentle Essence on the Mohawk site, but Mellow Haven seems to be almost non-existent. The only thing holding me back from going with gentle essence is I was quoted a considerably higher price for what feels like, to me, the same thing.

Also, does anyone have suggestions on which padding to go with these? It'll be installed on a concrete slab foundation. Everywhere has been giving me quotes with various #8 pads, but they're all different brands. Everyone also seems to be discouraging us from getting the pad sold by Mohawk.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
j45470b

What is wrong with the Mohawk pad?

Bookmark   January 31, 2013 at 10:30PM
JD2020

I would like to know what you have heard about Mohawk pad also. I paid a bit more to put in the pink Mohawk SmartPad with my Silk carpet last year because I was told it had a moisture barrier and that a good pad would extend the life of the carpet. So far it had been great, but now you have me worried.

Bookmark   February 11, 2013 at 10:19AM
DIYguy_FL

If Gentle Essence & Mellow Haven are both in the Smartstrand Silk line, then they will be comparable products. They will both have amazing wear performance, stain and soil protection, and durability. I would go with your personal style preference RacinRaver.

SmartCushion has a moisture barrier film which prevents spills from getting into the pad for easier clean up. If there is no moisture present, SmartCushion will protect against spills & stains that get into the padding. For installations on a slab where moisture might be present, you should prob use a synthetic fiber cushion which will allow it to evaporate.

Bookmark   February 12, 2013 at 4:24PM
More Discussions
Jasper wood flooring
Has anyone in here used BuildDirect.com to buy flooring?...
S MacDougall
ANeed advice on installation of wood look porcelain tiles, Help!
Help! wood look porcelain tiles seem durable and a...
xavalexa
No hardwood warranty from HOM Furniture store - midwest
So after falling in love with Birch engineered floor...
Maryna
why is everyone pushing water based poly?
Everyone that I have gotten estimates for is pricing...
NYMK
Carpet on concrete..what is proper installation?
Want to install carpeting on cement slab foundation,...
slc2053
Sponsored Products
Exqusite Denim Blue 10'x14' Silk 100% Kashan Hand Knotted Area Rug H7173
BH Sun Inc
Ola Pendant by Masiero
$2,280.00 | Lumens
Rotary Grater
$14.99 | zulily
Amba | Sirio S-2933 Towel Warmer
$720.00 | YBath
Dimmable Ivory Linen Drum Shade Plug-In Swing Arm Wall Lamp
Lamps Plus