Gas Backup in House from Gas Fireplace

newman1154February 11, 2008

When I light my gas fireplace I get a strong gas odor in a matter of minutes in the upstairs stairway. The flames seem to shoot outward instead of upward to the chimney. I have checked to make sure flue is open and no blockage in chimney. It has happened last two times and it is very scary of the strong odor in such a small amount of time. Anybody have any ideas why this is happening or suggestions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bikesr2tired

hi Newman,

I'm wondering if you may be getting some negative draft depending on the direction of the wind, the amount of roof pitch and how high the stack is. It can happen when starting a new fire that flu gasses can back up into a room until enough heat is built up to create a draft.

There are chimney caps that are designed to help eliminate most, if not all, of that problem. Go to your home center and ask about it. I'm sure you will get some good information to solve your problem.

Cheers,
Jim

Bookmark   February 11, 2008 at 6:47PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
haus_proud

When we had a gas direct vent insert installed, they put a special chimney cap. I forgot what it was called, and I never bothered to ask the reason for it. Maybe it was to prevent the problem you are having.

Bookmark   February 12, 2008 at 4:30PM
More Discussions
Couple of questions about installing stone veneer
Little background - original lava rock fireplace was...
rosebay
Harman accentra insert wood pellet stove
I'm having a problem with my auger. It won't feed my...
Kyle22
I need opinions on what to do with old fireplace
I have an old fireplace that needs a rehab badly. What...
jbryan21
Help me decide on a fireplace unit for new build
We are doing a gas Heatilator unit. Is there much difference...
brodyt
Semi-detached home shared flue fireplace
Hi this is my first post to this forum so forgive me...
hiddentrails
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™