Chimney for Pellet Stove?

mtnman2February 16, 2008

I am considering purchasing a Harmon P68 Pellet stove. Can these stoves be vented into an existing masonry chimney? Some people have told me that I have to run pellet vent all the way up my existing chimney. They are claiming that the stove cannot push the exhaust out a regular sized chimney. The chimney has an excellent draw. I have a two story house, and probably 25 to 30 feet of chimney. I don't want to spend the money on the vent pipe if I don't need too. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
SeattlePioneer

The advice you have been given is very likely correct. Most fireplace flues are grossly oversized for a pellet stove, and a chimney liner to reduce that and properly vent the pellet stove is almost certainly specified in the installation standards for the stove. Your dealer should be happy to point that out to you in the manual for the stove if you ask.

And it doesn't mattter how well your fireplace vents.

Sorry --- there is a huge difference between your fireplace and the stove, and this is reflected in different requirements for venting the combustion products.

Bookmark   February 18, 2008 at 4:07AM
More Discussions
freestanding gas stove flaming out- vent problem?
I have a free standing direct vented gas stove vented...
pooper
do you recognize this stacked stone?
I would like to install stacked stone and found this...
rosebay
Xtrordinair Fireplace
We were directed to a local shop selling this product....
Lutha
I need opinions on what to do with old fireplace
I have an old fireplace that needs a rehab badly. What...
jbryan21
Converting wood fireplace to gas fireplace
Help, I'm overwhelmed. Any link to a good site that...
nosoccermom
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™