Memo to low-income Canadians re: Income tax preparation, no fee

joyfulguyFebruary 26, 2009

If a single Canadian's regular rather straightforward income is under about $25,000.00, or $35,000.00 for a couple, there are many locations in Canada where it may be possible to have your income tax return prepared at no charge.

The Canada Revenue Agency trains a number of volunteers annually who prepare those returns in clinics in a number of areas of Canada. There are about a dozen such locations in our area. Also, for some more or less housebound seniors, people with disability, etc. there are some volunteers who come to one's home to prepare their return.

This is only available for fairly simple returns - it does not include income from a business, rentals, substantial or varied types of income from investments, etc.

It does include situations where low-income folks are applying for Guaranteed Income Supplement.

If you contact the Canada Revenue Agency, they can tell you whether the service is available in your area and particulars regarding eligibility, locations, times, etc.

Memo to U.S. folks: Is there such a service offered in the U.S.?

If there is, quite likely they would appreciate some of you offering to help prepare such returns, if you have the time.

If not, how about suggesting to the I.R.S. that they organize and oversee such a program?

If enough of you make such a suggestion ... maybe you'll get their attention.

Squeaky wheels ...get greased!

Well ... sometimes they do.

ole joyful

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
duluthinbloomz4

Is there such a service offered in the U.S.?

Yes, many of them in virtually every city and town. Often college and university students assist with simple returns at free tax clinics. Also church groups, drop in centers, shelters, etc. enlist volunteers to donate their time and expertise.

TV stations and newspapers run Public Service Ads advising people within certain income confines where to go for free help.

Bookmark   February 26, 2009 at 12:20PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
joyfulguy

Hi flowers in the snow at the western end of the biggest lake,

Thanks for the info.

One should try to learn something new every day.

Thanks also to those who offer the service.

ole joyful

Bookmark   February 26, 2009 at 7:04PM
More Discussions
child tax credit, age 17 cutoff
I was just wondering if anyone knew the logic behind...
jiggreen
How would I sell fur coats?
Let me say, first, please donÂt bash me for having...
linnea56
I NEED to vent!
I am so UPSET Just received a notice from my credit...
KarenPA_6b
Programmable Thermostat proof
Does anyone have hard copy proof of the savings that...
rjexit5
Any advice for a lady whose husband hides $?
I am a widow and used to doing for myself. I have a...
topsiebeezelbub
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™