Arrow wood fire insert?

dishikiFebruary 20, 2008

We purchased our house nine months ago and there is an Arrow wood fire insert. That is the only name on it. We have no instruction manual and no idea how to use it, and my wife wants it gone.

She is concerned that it is not safe for our kids. We have an 18 month old and a newborn. I suspect that the outside of it gets extremely hot. It has a plug for a blower. The previous owner said he used it all the time. The question is, does anyone know of an online manual for this brand? Also, how hard is it to remove?

Finally, should we keep it and utilize it? Is it safe for kids. Our house is about 3100 sq ft. We live in the Atlanta area, and our highest gas bill was last month about 140 dollars. Would this heat the whole house? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
SeattlePioneer

It's probably wise to have a fireplace repairman who is an expert with woodstoves come in to inspect the chimney, venting, the condition of the fireplace and answer your questions.

Woodstoves can be hazards, so having an unknown quantity inspected when you move into a new address is the smart thing to do.

Bookmark   February 21, 2008 at 9:43PM
christopherh

You can get a screen that surrounds the outside of the unit. It keeps it out of harm's way so nobody gets burned.

But you have rules. No fire unless there's an adult in the room. Your children WILL get close to it and yes, they may get a burn. But after that, they won't go near it again. It's like a kitchen range. I think everybody got burned as a kid touching a hot pan. But we all survrved.

But having a fireplace also teaches your children the RESPECT for fire.

Have it checked out, get a screen surround, and you should be just fine. Especially in winter when there's a power failure.

Bookmark   February 22, 2008 at 8:01AM
christopherh

Here's a place that sells Arrow inserts. They're made by Heatilator.

Here is a link that might be useful: Arrow Dealer

Bookmark   February 22, 2008 at 8:14AM
More Discussions
Help me decide on a fireplace unit for new build
We are doing a gas Heatilator unit. Is there much difference...
brodyt
do you recognize this stacked stone?
I would like to install stacked stone and found this...
rosebay
How can I update this 60s facade?
The home I'm buying was built in 1959 and I don't think...
demeterchaos
Gas fireplace- fan or no fan?
Looking at a Mendota and a Heat N Glo full view single...
ryebread2111111
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™