Ash pan or not?

dcumba99pFebruary 13, 2009

My wife and I will be installing an insert into our masonry fireplace sometime over the next few months and would like to hear folks opinions about ash pans. It seems ash cleanout would be a lot easier versus having to let the thing cool down. Thoughts?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mainegrower

One person's opinion. Integral ash pans are more trouble than they are worth. They can clog, stick and can dangerously increase the draft in the stove if they don't close fully.

There is a device named the Ashtrap manufactured in Ontario that I've been using for the past two winters. It's a metal wedge shaped container with a sliding cover.
You can scoop hot ashes into it, close the cover and remove the ashes to a safe container outside with minimal mess - no need to allow ashes to cool fully. I burn 24/7 and I use this method every two or three days.

Here's a second unsolicited opinion. If you want to seriously use wood heat, you're much better off with a free standing woodstove than with an insert. Much more heat without the need for an annoyingly noisy and frequently inoperable fan.

Bookmark   February 14, 2009 at 5:41AM
christopherh

I have had both an insert and a freestanding stove. Both work very well. I rarely used the blower on the insert because it blew cool air when the stove cooled.
But since you have a fireplace, installing an insert is logical. Just get a quality insert and have it professonally installed.

Bookmark   February 14, 2009 at 7:12AM
dcumba99p

Thank you for posting the ashpan - that looks like it will do the trick. Anything to cut down on dust when changing ashes will be great. mainegrower - would love to go the stove route but we just don't have room with the big masonry fireplace dominating the small-ish living room.

Bookmark   February 14, 2009 at 4:36PM
More Discussions
best way to clean a brick hearth?
i have tried washing the brick, but it still looks...
bmmalone
How can I update this 60s facade?
The home I'm buying was built in 1959 and I don't think...
demeterchaos
Semi-detached home shared flue fireplace
Hi this is my first post to this forum so forgive me...
hiddentrails
direct vent gas fireplace
Hello, I just bought a house and there is a Monessen...
shahgee84
Non-angled corner fireplace?
How would you describe this fireplace? I've been trying...
fenix409
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™