cat vs noncat

bikesr2tiredFebruary 12, 2010

I've had my Consolidated Dutchwest Federal Airtight for about 32 years now and I am very pleased with it. This is the medium size FA264 model that uses a catalytic combustor. I was wondering that if I had to replace this stove should I get a noncat model? I replace my combustor about every 3 or 4 years. I pay about $120.00 for them which I don't consider too bad when I consider the money I'm saving by burning wood, so that to me is not really an issue. The stove itself has been relatively low maintenace. I had to replace the shaker grates and the combustor baffle once. About 10 years ago I totally disassembled the stove to re-cement all of the joints.

Are noncat stoves cleaner? do they put out more heat? Can you maintain a fire in a noncat as long as in a cat stove? I've read in several places that you can have parts of the stove related to the recycling section go bad every 2 or 3 years.

Thanks, Jim

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lakelifer

You certainly got your money's worth with your Dutchwest.

Cats use about 10% less wood than a noncat with the same amount of heat output however the view of a noncat fire is superior to that of a noncat.

I had my Jotul Castine for 5 seasons and the only replacement I had to make so far was the glass (my fault) but certain manufacturers who use cheaper materials the burn tubes have to be replaced on the schedule you have mentioned.

Bookmark   April 16, 2010 at 12:04AM
More Discussions
1st timer needs pellet stove guidence
The wife and I just bought a new single floor 1800...
bksinaz
Xtrordinair Fireplace
We were directed to a local shop selling this product....
Lutha
Gas fireplace that looks real in new build
Yes I know everyone want their gas logs to look real....
asyrp43
Couple of questions about installing stone veneer
Little background - original lava rock fireplace was...
rosebay
do you recognize this stacked stone?
I would like to install stacked stone and found this...
rosebay
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™