Quadra Fire 7100

andy81563February 5, 2013

I have just built a house in which we installed a Quadra Fire 7100. I installed it myself and feel confident in the way it was put in. We have begun trying to build fires in it and are having very little success. The instructions say to build the fire directly on the brick bottom. We feel that we need to have fire dogs in there on which to place the logs so we can get good draft through the bed of coals underneath the wood. Are we missing something and are there any tips on how to get a good, hot fire burning?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
southerncanuck

Try preheating the flue by wadding several newspapers rolled together and held up the flue opening. Burning a generous amount of kindling before adding larger pieces of hardwood will help to preheat that chimney as well.

I would like to see the firewood resting on a cast iron grate to permit air to circulate below the wood, your right there.

Bookmark   February 10, 2013 at 8:05PM
andy81563

The dealer where I bought it also said that the wood must be extremely dry. Any green wood would not burn well. That is certainly one of my problems. I can't help but think that a grate would help, though.

Bookmark   February 10, 2013 at 8:37PM
Cold.Country

We have also learned that using REALLY dry wood is critical. We always have to crack the door to let enough air in to get the fire going good.

Bookmark   February 23, 2013 at 3:13PM
More Discussions
Gas fireplace- fan or no fan?
Looking at a Mendota and a Heat N Glo full view single...
ryebread2111111
Harman accentra insert wood pellet stove
I'm having a problem with my auger. It won't feed my...
Kyle22
direct vent gas fireplace
Hello, I just bought a house and there is a Monessen...
shahgee84
I need opinions on what to do with old fireplace
I have an old fireplace that needs a rehab badly. What...
jbryan21
How can I update this 60s facade?
The home I'm buying was built in 1959 and I don't think...
demeterchaos
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™