Woodburning to fireplace?

bookgalFebruary 15, 2011

I have a woodburning stove that vents into a 27 ft high brick faced chimney. There is no fireplace, per se, just a hearth with the stovepipe going into the brick. Can I remove the wood stove andbrick to make this into a woodburning fireplace? I have plenty of space in the room to build. The chimney is double, with a woodstove connection in the basement, currently not used.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kframe19

The only person who could even begin to tell you that would be either a fireplace contractor, a mason, or an architect.

If it was built originally as a fireplace, that's one thing. You'd have the structure you needed.

If not, if it was built as a chimney specifically for use with a stove, you'd have to build a firebox, a proper hearth, etc., and that could get VERY expensive.

In this day and age your best bet isn't to get rid of the stove in favor of a fireplace. If you want the ambiance of a fireplace, get a stove with a large viewing area, one that can have the doors open (with a screen across the opening) that will serve not only as a fireplace for ambiance, but also an efficient heating stove when you don't want the fireplace function.

Bookmark   February 24, 2011 at 12:20PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
SouthernChimney

I agree with the other poster, a woodburning open fireplace is on average 30% efficiant, most new woodstoves are 80% effeciant. And like he said, get a stove with a big glass door that can be opened wide to get that "fireplace" feel. These days everybody is converting to stoves... its the way to go (or stay in your case). Check out my website for more info in this. www.southernchimneysweep.com

Here is a link that might be useful: Southern Chimney Sweep

Bookmark   April 28, 2011 at 10:43PM
More Discussions
Help me decide on a fireplace unit for new build
We are doing a gas Heatilator unit. Is there much difference...
brodyt
Napoleon Fireplaces - Be Careful
I purchased an expensive Napoleon fireplace last summer,...
joc6820
Xtrordinair Fireplace
We were directed to a local shop selling this product....
Lutha
Do I need a fireplace in Southern California
I am in the middle of renovations in my town home and...
LARemodel
Indoor/Outdoor Fireplace
Does anyone own an indoor/outdoor dual sided fireplace?...
rebph
Sponsored Products
MADRA Log Basket by Blomus
$125.99 | Lumens
Lustrous Three Fold Fireplace Screen with Handles - Satin Pewter
Signature Hardware
Moda Flame Rio Wall Mounted Ethanol Fireplace
$499.99 | Viesso
AICO Furniture - Oppulente Fireplace - 67220-52
Great Furniture Deal
Star Dust Decor - Small
$16.99 | Dot & Bo