Lady Luck

sailfishJanuary 18, 2005

My three month trial in the trading arena has brought me 20%. Looks like I'll be handing over some loot the the goverment come April. Should Lady Luck continue to grace her presence through 05 I'll have to do the same again. Is there anyway to tax defer a precentage of the earnings? I dont have an IRA or 401k.. Should I start one of these? Any other ideas? TIA

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chelone

You should most definitely have an IRA! and if you fall within the income guidelines I would urge you to set up a ROTH IRA. These are funded with income that's already been taxed and so, will grow and be available to you TAX FREE. The allowable contribution is 4K for 2005 ($4500 if you're over 50 and take advantage of the "geezer provision"). If you prefer, you can contribute to a regular IRA (same amounts) and take a deduction on your taxes... but you will be taxed on the withdrawals required when you attain retirement age.

There are other benefits to ROTHS, I suggest you search and read all about them. If you use an accountant he will be able to suggest other things you can do to salt away money for your retirement. But don't wait to do this! it's easy to do and you will be amazed at how the money will begin to accumulate and begin compounding... and compounding is the key to really savvy investing and saving!

Bookmark   January 19, 2005 at 5:47AM
More Discussions
Any advice for a lady whose husband hides $?
I am a widow and used to doing for myself. I have a...
topsiebeezelbub
How would I sell fur coats?
Let me say, first, please donÂt bash me for having...
linnea56
Ontario - Canadian law question
Hi: I am hoping I can find someone on the forum who...
mistopheles52
How much to replace car key? Am I being taken for a ride?
Hi all. I lost a key and a remote control to our 2005...
skrepka
Home Loan advise? Remodel and Addition
I am looking into a renovation/remodel of my current...
allieundercover
Sponsored Products
Lady BugTwin 2-piece Quilt Set
Overstock.com
6' Red Cedar Limerick Picket Rail Bridge
Fifthroom.com
Arkansas State Pillow
$78.00 | Bellacor
Lady's Totoro T-Shirt
Dot & Bo
ORE International Lamps 63 in. Lady Crystal Floor Lamp Satin Nickel/Chrome
Home Depot