Do fireplace heaters really work

spartan77777February 9, 2011

I have been looking at fireplace heaters as a supplemental and emergency heating alternative online.

I am talking about the type that consists of multiple vertical pipes that air fed through a blower such as the ones from woodlanddirect. I would like to know if anyone using them and what their experience is. Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kframe19

You're talking about the tubular grates, correct?

Yeah, they work.

But they work best with a set of glass doors designed to go with that specific grate heater.

The biggest drawback to fireplaces is that they often suck more heat out of the house than they provide. That's the nature of the chimney effect.

By fitting glass doors, providing for controlled combustion air (best is adjustable vents in the firebox), and using the heater grate you can actually recover a fair amount of heat.

Of course, the very best thing is a fireplace insert, essentially a sealed stove with the blowers.

Far more expensive, but far more efficient.

My Aunt and Uncle have a 2,000 square foot ranch in Central Pennsylvania. They burned about $18 of heating oil last year. All the rest of their heat came from the fireplace insert with the blower.

Bookmark   February 9, 2011 at 12:39PM
More Discussions
Fireplace Options?
Looking to put a wood burning fireplace in our new...
rmverb
Hot wall
Hi , I've posted this here before but will try again...
salbwil
Converting wood fireplace to gas fireplace
Help, I'm overwhelmed. Any link to a good site that...
nosoccermom
Xtrordinair Fireplace
We were directed to a local shop selling this product....
Lutha
Gas Fire Place
I have a direct vent gas fireplace with a standing...
JakeBrey
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™