buying health insurance

victory_tea2085January 29, 2011

My wife would like to quit her job and spend more time with our special needs son. Trouble is, working per diem, she will have to buy health insurance for our family- thus eating up most of the money she makes. Anyone have any suggestions as to how we can make this work? I'm retired and will be eligible for medicare next year but she would still have to buy family coverage because of our 5 yo. Thanks for any help!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kudzu9

Given the way the health care system in this country works, there may not be a lot of reasonably-priced options out there. You also don't furnish much info like: What area do you live in? Do you have health insurance now? What's the most you can afford to pay? Does your family have major, chronic medical conditions conditions to deal with, or only routine stuff? Etc.

Bookmark   January 31, 2011 at 1:38PM
tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM

Would your son's condition qualify him for MediCaid? Health insurance is very tricky, especially when dealing with special needs. My husband is unlikely to ever stop working for our state government because of the health insurance. We have a son with autism and the insurance covered some of his therapies before he started school and we have a daughter with type 1 diabets which is more expensive than I could have ever dreamed. Good luck, you will need it!

Bookmark   February 5, 2011 at 1:31AM
runktrun

What state do you live in?

Bookmark   February 7, 2011 at 5:37PM
victory_tea2085

New York

Bookmark   February 7, 2011 at 8:19PM
More Discussions
Here's a question for those who pay with cash
It happens occasionally, I'll be in a checkout line...
SnidelyWhiplash
help!!! advice needed asap for 2nd mortgage
I need to take out $30,000 in equity for desperately...
nene45
Family Banking Concept, anyone heard of it?
I did a search here and did not see any similiar thread....
rjinga
Buying a car
I am planning to buy a car, but my credit rating is...
HerscheLL
Evicting
Don't know where to post this specifically. The thing...
Curt D'Onofrio
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™