Semi-detached home shared flue fireplace

hiddentrailsJanuary 24, 2009

Hi this is my first post to this forum so forgive me if I make any etiquette faux-pas.

I recently purchased a 1924 semi-detached home in Toronto, Ontario. The two houses seem to be sharing the same flue for wood burning fireplaces (one in each house). I tried to get a chimney sweep to clean it, but refused telling me that it was illegal to use/clean. Is he right?

Would anyone know of any codes/by-laws that would support the sweeps statement.

thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
haus_proud

I do not know about the regulations in Canada, but I think your chimney sweep is right. Your house was probably build years ago before contemporary safety regulations for chimneys were put in place. Sharing a flue with an adjacent house is definitely a no-no here in the US. In fact, two fireplaces sharing the same flue would, I believe, be against code in most communities in the US, even if the two fireplaces were in the same private home. I have a feeling that the regs in Canada are a bit stricter than in the US.

Unfortunately, this means that you probably cannot use your chimney unless you alter it so that it meets the specification of the regulatory agencies responsible for maintaining safety standards. I think that if you want to use your fireplace, you will have to get an assessment from an impartial person (someone who will not actually undertake any work for you), so you can be assured that you are not being asked to undertake expensive alterations that may not be needed but that your "assessor" wants to do for you and charge you a goodly sum for. Don't fall into that trap.

Bookmark   January 31, 2009 at 9:40PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gillgerman

@hiddentrails: I have just bought a similarly aged semi-detached home in Toronto and got the fireplace/chimney cleaned and was told exactly the same thing. How did you resolve your situation? Did you need to repair/replace part of the chimney to "separate" the flues?

My neighbour seems to use their fireplace with no concerns, but we were told we couldn't.

Who should I believe!?

Bookmark   February 25, 2015 at 12:29PM
More Discussions
Do I need a fireplace in Southern California
I am in the middle of renovations in my town home and...
LARemodel
replacing wood burning stove with wb fireplace, will it work?
Living room had a wood burning stove. There's a 6"...
petecon
Couple of questions about installing stone veneer
Little background - original lava rock fireplace was...
rosebay
something stinks in here!
I built a fire in out basement fireplace last week,...
congaman59
Recommendation on direct-vent gas fireplace?
Hi all, We are building a new home and plan to have...
kitchengirl
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™