gas fireplace flame blue

trudJanuary 8, 2007

My Lennox gas fireplace turns on then very quickly the flame turns blue then goes out.If I remove the glass, it works OK. What is happening? At the top of the firebox, there are two openings covered with lids. What are these for?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Macey

You have a direct vent fireplace. The flaps are pressure relief flaps. They should cover the hole they sit on. These flaps have nothing to do with the flame dying out. What you describe is caused by lack of combustion air into the fire chamber. This lack of combustion air is causing the fire to starve and go out. Pretty much the only thing that can cause this air starvation is a restriction in the combustion air intake in the flue system.

Who did the installtion? What model is it? Where are you (city) located? Is it vented straight out the back,through the roof or other.
If a new home, go to your builder first. They will contact the fireplace subcontractor. The builder will have more "juice" than you will in getting it corrected.

Until then don't use the fireplace.

Bookmark   January 9, 2007 at 7:27PM
trud

Thanks for the info. However, when a repair person come to our place, he put insulating rope under those flaps where there was none before. Now the fireplace works fine. I don't understand this since the fireplace has worked for eight years prior to this without the rope.

Bookmark   January 9, 2007 at 8:48PM
lmocko_hotmail_com

I found out that my fireplace is doing the samething, it worked all through construction and a year of being in the new house. Now if I start the fireplace it will run I see the flame start to flutter then I shut it off. By doing this 2 or 3 times the fire is normal and it runs till I shut it off. My question, is the flue to cold and needs time to vent properly or is there a combustion problem?

Bookmark   February 10, 2011 at 8:46PM
More Discussions
Indoor/Outdoor Fireplace
Does anyone own an indoor/outdoor dual sided fireplace?...
rebph
Can woodstove clog a chimney in a month??
We had a Quadrafire 5100 woodburning stove insert installed...
kitasei
Fireglass getting discolored
I have a vented fireplace that can burn wood or gas....
anjn
Feedback on MORSO 5660 unit with blower
Hi all- we're replacing our wood insert to get a sleeker...
thehype
Help me decide on a fireplace unit for new build
We are doing a gas Heatilator unit. Is there much difference...
brodyt
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™