how to dispose of ashes

heimertJanuary 12, 2009

What should I do with ashes from a wood-burning fireplace? In with the regular garbage collection? Any benefit to the garden from them?

(btw, I do know to let them cool and ensure there are no embers before disposing).

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
christopherh

I put them in a pile in the back yard. In the spring I spread them on the grass. WOW! I have a nice green lawn. Nitrogen is good for lawns and gardens.

Bookmark   January 13, 2009 at 7:57AM
davidandkasie

i put mine in my compost heap. as a matter of a fact i need to add some other stuff since lately ash is all i been adding. you can also put them in a rotary or drop spreader and spread them on the lawn.

i have been known to dump them arround the base of some of my trees. no reason i did this other than that is where the previous owner dumped his ashes.

Bookmark   January 13, 2009 at 10:31AM
maryland_irisman

Spreading them on the lawn or tilling them into a garden is great. It has the same effect as lime although not as proficient. If you have clay soil, by all means, mix the ashes in. The ashes are known as "clay busters". Try not to put them in a pile over 6 inches high in an area where a caustic substance will cause problems. Just an fyi for those who care...straining water through the ashes produces lye, great for old fashion soap making.

Bookmark   January 13, 2009 at 1:45PM
garyg

Ashes will kill acid loving plants. I killed an evergreen tree and a few holly bushes by using my firewood ashes on these plants. Now I know better. I just put the ashes in the trash after they've cooled.

Bookmark   January 14, 2009 at 11:48AM
More Discussions
Gas fireplace that looks real in new build
Yes I know everyone want their gas logs to look real....
asyrp43
Linear Fireplace
Can I put a 60 inch linear fireplace in place of this...
kjez2010
Help me decide on a fireplace unit for new build
We are doing a gas Heatilator unit. Is there much difference...
brodyt
Can woodstove clog a chimney in a month??
We had a Quadrafire 5100 woodburning stove insert installed...
kitasei
direct vent gas fireplace
Hello, I just bought a house and there is a Monessen...
shahgee84
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™