Holiday Party/Drinks?

brendaswDecember 1, 2002

Hi,

Planning a holiday party...cocktails and hors d'ouvres. My question is what kind of a liquor should I have in my liquor cabinet? Of course we'll have wine and beer, but don't know exactly what else I should have on hand. Any suggestoins would be appreciated!

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
summergirl

I am not much of a drinker but we keep various types of liquer for guests and for when my husband wants a cocktail. We usually have on hand some good whiskey, rum, tequila, scotch and vodka And for coffee with a pep, we have Frangelica, Ameretto, Bailey's Irish cream and KAhluia...HOpe this helps some...

Bookmark   December 1, 2002 at 10:24PM
nancylouise_gw

Good suggestions on the previous post, I also have on hand as a basic- gin, grenadine, flavored brandy, and juices such as cranberry, orange, and grapefruit. Enjoy your party! NancyLouise

Bookmark   December 2, 2002 at 8:29AM
brendasw

Thanks for the suggestions!!! This will help me to get started!

Happy Holidays

Bookmark   December 2, 2002 at 9:44AM
lindac

I also am planning a big cocktail dinner buffet party. I bought Bombay gin, Kettle one Vodka and Smirnoffs, Dewers scotch, Canadian club and Jim Beam...and will put out light and dark vermouth, Rose's lime, lemons, olives, cherries....and lots of champagne, white wine and beer....as well as soft drinks and mixers.
I like to avoid red wines, and cranberry juice as well as grenadine for a big cocktail party....saves the furniture!
Linda C

Bookmark   December 2, 2002 at 10:58AM
Fireraven9

I like Swedish Glogg or Wassial (hot mulled wine) served from the steaming crockpot. It warms the body like few other things can. It is served in mugs so it is not so likely to tip and spill. Just be sure to have your guests choose a designated driver for each carload (people tend to carpool to get here) since it packs a good kick.

Lee AKA Fireraven9
Who has seen the wind?
Neither you nor I:
But when the trees bow down their heads.
The wind is passing by.
-Â Â Christina Rossetti

Here is a link that might be useful: Glogg Wine Description and Recipes

Bookmark   December 2, 2002 at 11:08AM
nancylouise_gw

But Linda how will I have my favorite mixed drinks-cape codders and sea breezes without the cranberry or grapefruit juice?! lol. I promise not to spill. NancyLouise

Bookmark   December 2, 2002 at 8:31PM
whimandfancy

Mistletoe Martinis - mix 4 parts vodka with 1 part Midori liquor, pour in glass that has been dipped in colored sugar, hang a small candy cane from edge

add a splash of grenadine

the red settles to the bottom making the drink both red and green - perfect for xmas parties!

Bookmark   December 18, 2002 at 10:50AM
mitchdesj

whimandfancy, I love Midori, I make my margaritas with it, I'll try your holiday recipe, glad I came here tonight !!

Bookmark   December 18, 2002 at 11:01PM
lindac

Nancy Louise....come when there aren't 60 people also here and I'll mix your cape codder.....and join you!
Linda C

Bookmark   December 20, 2002 at 2:57PM
aikidokap

Quick tip on flavored martinis....

For those of you that love the taste, but can't afford to be snockered inthe first 30 minutes, you can try substituting club soda for some parts of the vodka/gin.

For instance, in my sour apple martinis, I use vodka, apple pucker and club soda...shaken with ice...

Taste is light and easily drinkable...but you can actually have more than a few without falling down. Adds no calories or taste to the recipe...just be sure not to mix up tonic water with soda water!

aiki

Bookmark   December 23, 2002 at 5:08PM
grillboy823

Go with some easy mixed drinks, maybe some with a holiday flavor... Some of my favorites are egg nog (with rum or brandy), sangria, and mulled cider.

Here is a link that might be useful: Printable Photo Christmas Cards

Bookmark   July 22, 2008 at 10:44AM
sudiepav

This was a nice holiday thread until grillboy spammed it up.

Bookmark   July 22, 2008 at 4:50PM
More Discussions
4 letter words
We will be playing with only 4 letter words.One should...
kushy28
Gift for 80th. Birthday
We're invited to a restaurant for an 80th birthday...
suvgal
Preparing Roasted Chicken Beforehand
Hi! I have been reading posts from here for a while,...
Bev.Linda
What would you do?
The setting: Ladies gathered for coffee and chatting......
kitykat
Slow cooker or Crock pot
What's the difference? And which do you think is better?...
yborgal
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™