Epa certified wood fireplaces and asthma

gbig2January 25, 2010

My wife and I are thinking about putting a wood fireplace in our great room. We don't have a fireplace right now or a chimney. My wife has allergies/asthma. Do we have to worry about asthma with these newest EPA certified, high efficiency fireplaces or is the asthma concern with the older, open fireplaces? I was thinking about putting HEPA air cleaner in the great room just in case particles escape into the great room when cleaning the fireplace out or when loading wood. I'd love to hear from people who have asthma but get along with a fireplace with no issues...

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
berlin

there should not be any difference in any open/epa/pre epa etc. fireplace and its effect on your wife's asthma. Any stove or heating appliance functioning properly will vent all combustion products outside. wood heat in general MAY aggravate her asthma if she's allergic to any pollen, mold, spores etc. brought in on the firewood regardless of what it is being burned in.

Bookmark   January 26, 2010 at 2:25AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
countryboymo

My mother has Asthma and sometimes has reactions to the wood that is stored downstairs if it has mold on it that she is allergic to. She doesn't have severe attacks from it and can handle loading the furnace but at times it does bother her. Depending on her allergies and asthma you might check into a pellet burning unit, I would think with the compressed pellets and dry material that mold and spores would be very minimal.

Bookmark   February 1, 2010 at 12:44AM
More Discussions
Gas fireplace that looks real in new build
Yes I know everyone want their gas logs to look real....
asyrp43
best way to clean a brick hearth?
i have tried washing the brick, but it still looks...
bmmalone
Xtrordinair Fireplace
We were directed to a local shop selling this product....
Lutha
1st timer needs pellet stove guidence
The wife and I just bought a new single floor 1800...
bksinaz
replacing wood burning stove with wb fireplace, will it work?
Living room had a wood burning stove. There's a 6"...
petecon
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™