Hostess Gift for the Boss

whazzupDecember 7, 2002

No, not Bruce Springsteen :)

I am attending a Christmas party given by my DH's boss. I have met the boss and his wife and they are a very nice young couple. She and I have hit it off, thank goodness. The party they are having is a "drop in" type thing, not a sit down dinner. I know that Mrs. Boss likes merlot because I noted this at the company wide Christmas party. But, I would prefer not to bring wine as I am not that skilled at choosing a good one. I would prefer to bring something different or unusual. They are a pretty "hip" couple with young children. Thought maybe someone on this forum might share their experience with gifts that they have received and enjoyed. Ideas?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
notenoughroses

An amaryllis bulb potted up - you can buy them in many flower shops and garden centers this time of year all ready blooming. I used to work at a garden center and they were very popular this time of year for hostess gifts - we would often make them up an arrangement with some ivy or a poinsettia, covered with spanish moss and topped with a festive bow. The basket, of course, can be used long after the holiday season. Dollar amount here can vary from less than $20 to $$$, depending on basket and number of plants.
We also made up a lot of herbal baskets this time of year - you can tuck in a bottle of herb vinegar or oil - even a small cookbook.
A "Morning After Basket" with breakfast breads, jelly and tea or coffee mix.
~ Suzie

Bookmark   December 7, 2002 at 5:22PM
lindac

A jar of home made jam and a spreader, a loaf of nut bread, a couple of special candles, a small box of special chocolates, a pot of peperwhites not yet blooming, some nice note paper....something for the dog, or the kids......
Shouldn't be too hard.
Linda C

Bookmark   December 7, 2002 at 6:34PM
jasper_austin

Last time Kyle went to a Christmas party at the boss' house, he gave the boss a fancy sort of wine stopper that was crafted by a local artisan. We're not good at picking out wine either and the boss was a wine collector.

Bookmark   December 7, 2002 at 9:58PM
mqmoi

I love those paperwhites this time of year! I received those as a gift one year and started buying them for myself and others.

I like the wine stopper idea. I prefer not to receive food this time of year, because there is so much and it gets lost in the shuffle or not eaten.

Bookmark   December 8, 2002 at 12:21PM
sharon_fl

I was going to suggest a set of real nice cheese spreaders, along with a few nice cheeses & some gourmet crackers-all nestled in a nice basket with a Christmassy cloth napkin.
Personally-although it's not very 'classy'...I present hostesses with a pair of the greatest paring knives-they are a 1 pc knife & stay sharp forever! I give the paring & a tomato knife. The hostesses never cease to comment on how they love them, thankfully thinking of me every time they use them!

Bookmark   December 8, 2002 at 10:54PM
lindac

As someone who was on the recieving end of "boss's wife" gifts for a lot of years, might I suggest something consumable....as I said, candles, wine, preserves, a plant, nice paper goods. A lot of "things" is not always a good thing...
Linda C....who feels if it was a gift, I must display it proudly....even if I already have 5 of them, and would rather have something that can be used up......

Bookmark   December 8, 2002 at 11:56PM
talley_sue_nyc

I say get the merlot--and tell her you noticed that she likes it. Ask some wine-shop guy for a recommendation, and you'll be fine.

I think gifts that show you through about the specific person are better than gifts you pick out of only obliation, or that indicate you considered her _classification_--young mom, etc.

And I'm w/ Lindac, get something consumable. That poor woman, if she's got little kids, already has too many little things in her house.

If you don't want to do the wine, do a nice jam, or something. I personally won't do candles or bath & lotion stuff, because I hate them and I think most people have plenty, even if they like them.

Even fresh flowers are nice. They're beautiful, many of us forget to buy them for ourselves, and they WILT!

Bookmark   December 18, 2002 at 8:52PM
eiagaaf

How about a really nice potted poinsettia (sp?)

Bookmark   December 19, 2002 at 4:02PM
Julie_MI_Z5

What did you decide to take?!

I usually take scented candles; there are so many lovely ones in the stores these day! Maybe Santa mugs for the kids? If they are a young couple, would a Christmas-themed candy dish or serving tray have been appropriate?

Bookmark   December 29, 2002 at 9:02AM
whazzup

I took a pretty basket of sweets. Thought that was a good idea since they have the two children. It all worked out just fine. Thanks for all the advice.

Bookmark   December 29, 2002 at 12:25PM
More Discussions
A dinner party to make new friends?
Hello everyone :) I've just moved house into a new...
Babowl
Mosquito problem
Our house is on 7 wooded acres; the mosquito problem...
cheerful1_gw
Disappearing Brunch Guest
I'd love to hear your responses. We had a brunch for...
newgardenelf
Questions about Murder/Mystery Games
Please tell me more about Murder/Mystery Games (apparently...
bizzybee
$10 graduation gifts
Hi, my daughter is graduating from high school. We're...
strayerdarb
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™