fireplace bump-out

wadevcampJanuary 22, 2011

I have a 3 season porch on a concrete slab. We want to put in a gas fireplace and would like to make it flush with inside wall, so would need a bump-out. Problem is I don't want to put in a foundation for the bump-out since the floor is about 8' from the ground.

So the question is how is a bump out supported? My fallback is to call a professional to consult on the design, but the bump-out will be only 1-2' deep (haven't decided yet) and it would have clapboard on the exterior (i.e., nothing heavy). Any ideas?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
robj

I'm working on a similar project - putting a gas fireplace in our living room (gable wall) with the floor about 5' above the ground. I've done some research but haven't found much yet.

Here are some photos I saved showing a wall framed and ready to accept a shop made bump out.

If I find out more, I'll share it here. Please do the same as I'll be checking back. I hate the idea of paying an architect for such a simple project.

Bookmark   February 11, 2011 at 8:24AM
robj

Not sure if the OP is still following this or if I'm just talking to myself.

We had some friends over last night, one of whom is a GC.

I was telling him about my project and he said that the rule of thumb for cantilever is that you have to go back 6' into the house for each 2' of cantilever.

As mine is going on a gable wall perpendicular to the floor joists, I'll need to support the bump out with either a full block foundation tied into the existing footings or two piers.

This project just got more complex than I thought it was going to be.

Bookmark   February 13, 2011 at 10:27PM
robj

Ha!

I found the solution:

From: Graphic Guide to Frame Construction: Walls, by Rob Thallon, architect and Associate Professor of Architecture at the University of Oregon.

Bookmark   February 15, 2011 at 6:54AM
More Discussions
Harman accentra insert wood pellet stove
I'm having a problem with my auger. It won't feed my...
Kyle22
How can I update this 60s facade?
The home I'm buying was built in 1959 and I don't think...
demeterchaos
Vermont stove
I have a resolute acclaim stove and the sealer around...
edtrac
Non-angled corner fireplace?
How would you describe this fireplace? I've been trying...
fenix409
Gas Fire Place
I have a direct vent gas fireplace with a standing...
JakeBrey
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™