Gas fireplace on interior wall?

elizabethdJanuary 29, 2012

Hi. I have an old house (1897) but it does not have a fireplace, and never did. It is built of stone (first floor) and is a "half-double" with a thick brick wall dividing my house from my neighbor's. I would love to install a gas fireplace in the living room, but I don't know if I can due to the layout.

One wall is a large window bay, one wall is the shared brick wall, one wall is only about 4 feet long and opens to the foyer, and the fourth wall, where I want the fireplace, is an interior wall, with the cellar stairwell behind it.

Most of what I have read about the ventless fireplaces is discouraging, so I am wondering if I have any other options. Can a gas fireplace be vented "downward", like into the basement and then ducted outside? Or does anyone have any other suggestions or advice?

I love my house and don't intend to move, but I have always wanted a fireplace and have finally convinced my husband that a gas one would be OK, but now I don't know if it will work at all......and of course my budget is not unlimited, so that's a concern too.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
red62

While watching HGTV I saw some real nice looking Electric Fireplaces. I don't know how you feel about them but some even provide heat. On the inside wall above the stair you could even have it built right in the wall like a brick fireplace. Hope this helps

Bookmark   February 2, 2012 at 3:29PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
takepride

The venting needs to either go up and out the roof or up and out a wall. From what you described you cannot go out a wall.

Would it be possible to vent through the roof?

There are some manufacturers that offer a "power vent" which sucks the exhaust from the fireplace. This allows you to vent down. It does however add a lot to the price.

Bookmark   February 6, 2012 at 1:47PM
More Discussions
cleaning soot off rock fireplace surround
My rock wall fireplace looks dingy from 50 years of...
pompeii
Installing New Granite Tile Over Old Granite Fireplace Surround?
Hi! On my fireplace surround do I have to replace the...
resipsa44
I need opinions on what to do with old fireplace
I have an old fireplace that needs a rehab badly. What...
jbryan21
Fireglass getting discolored
I have a vented fireplace that can burn wood or gas....
anjn
Do I need a fireplace in Southern California
I am in the middle of renovations in my town home and...
LARemodel
Sponsored Products
'Midlife Crisis' Wall Sign
$9.99 | zulily
Rotaliana | Honey T2 Table Lamp (with legs)
$324.00 | YLighting
Tub-Wall-Mount Faucet - Lever Handle
Signature Hardware
Cloud 9 Concealed Thermostatic Triple Shower Faucet Valve 2 Outlets
Hudson Reed
Minka Lavery Shaker Way Traditional Outdoor Wall Light
1800Lighting
Candice Nickel and Flat Pleated White Shade 1-Light Vanity Fixture
Overstock.com
Adagio IFS1007 Inspiration Falls - Black Spider Marble Wall Fountain
SerenityHealth
AXO Light | Avir Wall Sconce