How to switch accountants gracefully?

mrsgreenbankJanuary 13, 2005

My husband has an S. corp and I am self-employed, so I am wondering what kind of stuff I need to get from the previous accountant to give to the new accountant (when I find one). Would the new accountant be able to just take over without a problem, do you think?

The current accountant does the accounting stuff okay, but his communication skills are crap. He also does not charge what he says he will charge and then does not answer emails or phone calls questioning it. I am ready to switch today, but we are stuck with him until our taxes for 2004 are filed.

We will likely tell the current accountant that we are switching because we prefer to have someone local to us instead of 2.5 hours away, which is true. It would certainly make communication easier (and less expensive via telephone).

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
steve_o

Why not let the new accountant handle it? Give him/her the contact info for your old accountant and let him/her call the old accountant and say "I need this/that/the other thing." After you break the news to your current accountant.

Bookmark   January 14, 2005 at 10:38AM
mrsgreenbank

I was wondering if that would be okay. It sounds like a wonderful idea to me!

Bookmark   January 14, 2005 at 1:53PM
joyfulguy

Unless there were some special reason, I can't understand having an accountant 2 1/2 hours travel away from one's location.

It seems to me that gives you a graceful out.

Especially since using e-mail should be the main reason for taking on such a professional that far away - and he then having shown himself unwilling to answer such communications.

Good wishes as you proceed.

joyful guy

Bookmark   January 14, 2005 at 3:52PM
PeaBee4

At the price of gasoline, you would be foolish not to switch.

Bookmark   March 8, 2005 at 10:37PM
michie1

Unless you happen to hand over everything to your current accountant I can't imagine you can't supply your new one with whatever he needs.

My husband is also self employed with a Subchapter S corp & I've changed accountants 2 times over the years. The first one I found many errors, b/c I actually tracked his work & told him flat out I was switching. The worst part about it is that he's friends with MANY people we know so we often see him at get togethers, but we laugh about it these days & he even told me it's good to be upfront like I was with a problem such as this.

The 2nd time I switched it was b/c our accountant did everything SO BY THE BOOK that we were paying through the nose. I wanted someone who was a little more "creative" & who predominantly worked with people in the trades (my husband is a plumbing contractor). Because I liked our accountant & didn't know how the new one would work out I lied & told him that a family member had opened up their own practice & we were going to be using him. This newer accountant does save us money but has no personality, vs. the previous one was a doll, but bottom line it's $ that count.

So unless you foresee having to return to him I say be honest.

Michie

Bookmark   March 17, 2005 at 2:23PM
More Discussions
Spending Breakdown
My wife and I have tracked our spending over the last...
rjexit5
Refinance with Bank of America taking F-O-R-E-V-E-R
We started the process for our refinance April 25th...
wickedgrace
Home Loan advise? Remodel and Addition
I am looking into a renovation/remodel of my current...
allieundercover
Investing for your Future
I'm wondering if most people today hire financial planners...
cmarlin20
Just because you pay your bills on time.....
doesn't guarantee you have good credit The "Paying...
myfask
Sponsored Products
Chain of Love Shower Caddy
$16.99 | Dot & Bo
Georgian Design Solid Brass Double Toggle and Outlet Plate
Signature Hardware
Bolla Brushed Bronze Three Light Semi Flush Mount
$659.00 | Bellacor
Home Decorators Area Rug: Melody Beige 1' 8" X 2' 6"
$39.00 | Home Depot
Stilhaus by Nameeks I13 Bathroom Hook - STILHAUS I13-08
$121.80 | Hayneedle