Pasta Buffet?

passport4vickiDecember 20, 2008

I have an idea to do a Pasta 'Buffet' for a Christmas Eve game night get-together.

My idea started with 3 colors for sauce:

Red - Marinara ?

Green - Pesto ?

and White - Alfredo ?

Pasta Ideas .. Fettuccini, filled Ravioli or Tortellini, a shaped Pasta, maybe spiral?

How would I serve this? How do I keep the pasta hot? Any ideas to make it look nice?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
aleighjc

My mom did something like this and she got some canned tomatoes that came in a can and they had a really cool vintage looking label. So she washed that out and served those long bread sticks in there. She also took boxes, to give differen't "levels" to the food dishes. Place a table cloth over the boxes, and then the food dishes ontop of the boxes. Hope that makes sense!!! Not sure how to keep the pasta warm. I would say cook it right before serving. I would probably offer fresh garlic bread(long fresh loaf, butter, some garlic in oil from the produce deparment then toast it all) then maybe salad as well. Oh and olives! One of those neat long dishes for olives would be neat. Have fun!! I think I want to host the same theme!!

Bookmark   December 20, 2008 at 2:43PM
gellchom

Caterers around here use that boxes & tablecloth trick, and it looks GREAT. Bunch the cloth up a bit and weight it down with fruit or vegetables, or maybe little vases or ornaments -- you'll see, you can get a very professional look even if you're not very "Martha."

I wouldn't try to keep the pasta itself hot, just the sauces. Do you have a crock pot/slow cooker, a chafing dish, a fondue pot, a hot plate or warming tray? I bet you can rent or borrow if you don't. But if (1) it's a very casual evening, (2) your kitchen layout permits, and (3) you don't mind cleaning the kitchen before the guests arrive (and then AGAIN after the party), you can just keep the sauces on the stove. Our friends have a chili party every year, and they use the stove and crock pots, and it's fine.

Bookmark   December 21, 2008 at 3:58PM
lindac

The way the pasta buffet is done in a professional venue is to have a propane burner or 2 and several non stick fry pans and a bottle of olive oil...
Have a big pot fo room temperature cooked pasta well coated with olive oil. When someone comes through the line, the server heats the small non stick skillet, puts a "once around" of EVOO in the pan and adds the amount of pasta for the next 2 or 3 orders.
He tosses the pasta with the oil over the heat....adds the sauce, tosses until all is hot and plates it up.
That way there is never any gluey pasta and every one gets a fresh hot dish.
Not sure you can do that as a buffet without a lot of attention to serving.
Linda C

Bookmark   December 21, 2008 at 7:23PM
More Discussions
Planning ahead: graduation
My oldest is graduating college in May (yeah!). His...
jewelisfabulous
Slow cooker or Crock pot
What's the difference? And which do you think is better?...
yborgal
Holiday dinner with divorced inlaws.
Once again it is a holiday dinner coming up and I always...
grandmamary_ga
Worst visit ever
A friend and I were going out today, we live in different...
BGOS
Disappearing Brunch Guest
I'd love to hear your responses. We had a brunch for...
newgardenelf
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™