80s Heatilator

1980sDIYerJanuary 20, 2013

We currently have an old 80s heatilator fireplace, model FP36. I'm trying to research it, but to my understanding this is a wood burning insert that vents with a 8" diameter ducting up through the chimney to the outside. It has bifold glass doors and metal screen, and around the doors is a black mesh metal face, perhaps for circulation/venting?
Ultimately, we'd like to have a gas burning fireplace down there instead. Does anyone know if we could place a gas burning kit inside this existing insert, rather than having to replace the full insert with an expensive new one? If you have any information on these heatilators that could better help me understand what I'm dealing with that would be great. Thank you!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
karenduke

You have 2 choices: install a gas burning insert into your fireplace, or tear out the wood burner and install a gas one in its place.

An insert is essentially a high-efficiency stove, shaped like a fireplace that installs inside of your existing fireplace. This option will be much less expensive that replacement, though your fire view will be somewhat limited. A new chimney liner, downsized for the requirements of the gas insert, is installed inside of your existing 8" metal chimney to provide high heating efficiency.

If you replace the fireplace with a new gas burning model, just make sure you compare efficiency ratings. A high efficiency model will use no more gas yet give you MUCH more heat, and the difference in price is usually not more than $100 - $200.

Bookmark   January 23, 2013 at 12:36PM
More Discussions
HeatnGlo Mezzo 48 or Napolean Linear LHD50
Please help guide me! We are building a new home and...
supcar1
Does this old fireplace have options?
Hey everybody! My home was built in 1930 and originally...
Kristin Jennings
Xtrordinair Fireplace
We were directed to a local shop selling this product....
Lutha
Yikes! Fireplace smells terrible!
Hey everyone, I just bought a house built in the late...
prettybluehouse
See-through fireplace
Does anyone have any experience with the Lennox Montebello...
aswansonid
Sponsored Products
Natural dots indigo napkins, set of 4
Origin Crafts
Green Travel Garment Steamer
$19.99 | zulily
Louis Poulsen | OJ Floor Lamp
YLighting
80 x 40" Granite Stone Shower Base Trendy Gray - CASTLE
Living'ROC
Scania Metal 3" Tech Track Pendant for Juno Track Systems
Euro Style Lighting
Refurbished Jurassic Park Pinball Machine
FRONTGATE
Veterinarian Steel Wine Caddy
$109.00 | FRONTGATE
Safavieh Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Safavieh Rugs Shag Maroon 6.6 ft. x 9.5 ft.
Home Depot
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™