rainbow on the glass

maryoJanuary 25, 2009

We have a vented gas fireplace. No dampers. There is a rainbow on the glass and I think it's from burning too hot. Flames get to a foot high after a few minutes of burning. We've got the gas turned as low a possible. We've had the glass replaced once and it's starting all over again. Now what do we do?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fandlil

If you have no damper, you probably have a ventless gas logs system, which is dangerous and is outlawed in sleeping rooms according to building codes in many communities, because of the risk of oxygen depletion and/or carbon monoxide build up. Consumer Reports has a good article on the subject available free of charge on their website.

For safety, you should keep a window open a crack, which you may not want to do because it will bring in cold air, but which will compensate for the harm that your gas logs can do to your indoor air quality.

If the rainbow on the glass is due to excessive heat, the only solution is to shut off the system periodically to prevent overheating. Direct vent systems, which are safe and energy efficient (an a good deal more expensive than the unvented gas logs you have) usually come with a thermostat that turns the system on and off periodically so overheating does not occur. Without a thermostat, the only solution is to turn it off and on periodically yourself.

    Bookmark   January 31, 2009 at 4:51PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
SeattlePioneer

maryo says the fireplace is vented and there's no reason to suppose otherwise. The only gas fireplace that have dampers in them are mostly open fireplaces that are rather old --- dating back to the 1960s-to 1970s in most cases.

Newer fireplaces use other design features to control the draft through the fireplace.

As to what might be causing the rainbow effect--- I don't know. I never saw that happen in a gas fireplace.

I'd call the retailer where the fireplace was purchased and ask them if you know which outfit it was. Other wise I'd call the fireplace manufacturer and ask for technical services, which usually connects you up to the engineers or service reps who are experts on the equipment.

    Bookmark   January 31, 2009 at 9:28PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Feedback on MORSO 5660 unit with blower
Hi all- we're replacing our wood insert to get a sleeker...
thehype
Installing New Granite Tile Over Old Granite Fireplace Surround?
Hi! On my fireplace surround do I have to replace the...
resipsa44
something stinks in here!
I built a fire in out basement fireplace last week,...
congaman59
HeatnGlo Mezzo 48 or Napolean Linear LHD50
Please help guide me! We are building a new home and...
supcar1
Putting television IN firebox of fireplace
Long time lurker, first time poster. I've searched...
sherrgr
Sponsored Products
Quoizel Dayton Tiffany Glass Semi Flush Mount
1800Lighting
Berry 20-Oz. T2GO Glass Travel Tea Infuser
$19.99 | zulily
Antique Brass Crown Top Banded Globe Pendant
Bellacor
Santa Fe Kitchen Cart - 92329
$132.00 | Hayneedle
Rounded Rectangle Clear Crystal Glass Soap Dish
TheBathOutlet
Disco Ceiling/Wall Light by Zaneen
$408.96 | Lumens
Progress Lighting Outdoor Lanterns. Black 1-light Wall Lantern
Home Depot
Glass Lamp: Plateau 32 in. Oil Rubbed Bronze and Glass Table Lamp 30740ORB
Home Depot
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™