Stone on Brick FP, + Mantel and Extend Hearth?

momofredJanuary 20, 2011

Hello FP experts and enthusiasts!

I just bought a 'fixer upper' and am in the middle of a 2 month long remodel where we're not in the house, so we're getting A LOT done.

One of my major issues is with the Stone FP, first of all I love it, but it definitely needs a Mantel and my GC is now suggesting (a Mason also agreed) that I extend the hearth as it is admitedly 'short' and at the very least I would need to add tile or stone around, as I plan to carpet that room.

Please take a look, it's a terrible picture, but you get the idea. Thanks in advance!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fandlil

First, get a certified chimney person to inspect and clean the chimney, if you have not done that yet. He should be able to advise you on the safe placement of a mantel shelf (I think you mean a mantel shelf). If you decide on a wooden one or one made of some other combustible material, its placement would need to be a safe distance from the top edge of the firebox. Even if the shelf is not made of combustible material, distance from the firebox is still an issue because you might want to put combustible things on the shelf.

Extending the hearth will probably mean changing what you already have there because matching what you have will be next to impossible.

You might want to post your question on one of the interior decorating forums for more suggestions.

Bookmark   January 20, 2011 at 10:02PM
More Discussions
Travertine tile reface on fireplace surround & hearth
Help - We have torn down the old fake stone facing...
pennymw
help please ! saw a picture, how can this be made?
Can anyone help me figure out these dimensions and...
abick2
Yikes! Fireplace smells terrible!
Hey everyone, I just bought a house built in the late...
prettybluehouse
Indoor/Outdoor Fireplace
Does anyone own an indoor/outdoor dual sided fireplace?...
rebph
Gas Fireplace question
We recently bought a second home, and it has a gas...
grapefruit1_ar
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™