Stick Cloves into onions

sally2_gwFebruary 19, 2012

Why?

This is an instruction I've come across since my early days of cooking when I learned to cook from Irma Rombauer. Why not have onions and a few cloves in the soup? Why not stick the cloves into something else, such as a celery stick, or a potato, or some other ingredient? And why not just add a dash of ground cloves. I've done this when I was out of whole cloves. Is there a reaction between the cloves and onion that impart a certain flavor to the dish that wouldn't be there if you added the clove flavor another way?

Sally

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindac

Because then you can retrieve the onion and the cloves and not risk getting a whole clove in your spoon.
The directions telling you to stick cloves into an onion are always....in my experience...referring to a fairly delicate creamy sauce as a bechamel.

Bookmark   February 19, 2012 at 8:56AM
sally2_gw

I've mainly seen it in recipes for soups, at least, that's what I remember. It wouldn't surprise me that when I was first starting to cook I'd pass on recipes that used a bechamel sauce due to being intimidated. It wouldn't concern me now, but might have then.

Sally

Bookmark   February 19, 2012 at 10:18AM
caliloo

Soup or Bechamel - I think Lindas theory is correct - it is for ease of removal when serving. No one wants to bite into a whole clove any more than they want to bite into a whole bay leaf.

I've also seen numerous recipes that hae you tie the dried cloves, allspice, etc into a cheesecloth bag to remove them all when the dish is finished.

Alexa

Bookmark   February 19, 2012 at 10:23AM
seagrass_gw

I've always stuck one or two cloves into an onion when making chicken stock. I always count how many whole peppercorns I use, too, so I can retrive all of them. I suppose tying them up in some cheesecloth would be a better option LOL,

seagrass

Bookmark   February 19, 2012 at 5:02PM
foodonastump

Easy retrieval is what I always figured. As for chicken stock, I run mine through a fine mesh strainer so no need to count or stick anything anywhere!

Bookmark   February 19, 2012 at 5:36PM
shambo

I always put whole allspice, peppercorns, bay leaves, and other chunky spices like cloves in a tea ball. Toss it into the soup or stew. When the dish is done, just fish the tea ball out. Really easy and I don't have to tie up any packages of cheesecloth. Plus, the tea ball gets used over & over again.

Bookmark   February 19, 2012 at 5:46PM
coconut_nj

Yup, just for easy retrieval. A whole onion is less likely to fall apart than a stalk of celery or a potato. As said, though, a tea ball or cheese cloth or straining works as well.

Bookmark   February 19, 2012 at 9:13PM
annie1992

In most instances a cheesecloth bag or tea ball would work just as well, but I have beans soaking for Boston Baked Beans. Sure enough, the recipe calls for studding an onion with cloves. I guess I COULD put in a cheesecloth bag, but I cook beans until they are thick and sticky and so I think the onion is a better option.

I agree, it's for ease in removing the cloves.

Annie

Bookmark   February 19, 2012 at 9:51PM
sally2_gw

Okie dokie. I've now got a good supply of whole cloves, but I figure if I'm out, and have on had ground cloves, a dash into the dish I'm making would suffice.

Sally

Bookmark   February 20, 2012 at 12:01PM
More Discussions
How to fix rock hard espresso powder? :p
I am VERY careful about trying to keep powders dry...
party_music50
Food for sore mouths..
I just had a tooth extracted - and I have a very sore...
agmss15
Cool feature I've just noticed (OT)
Has anyone else noticed that you can click on a picture...
sally2_gw
Sharing Jacques Pepin
Hi all - rather than tacking this onto the 'Peeves'...
carolb_w_fl
Weird "guy food" that's actually delicious?
You know what kind of food I mean? Not the kind of...
plllog
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™