Sunday afternoon gathering???

krista123December 27, 2006

We miss entertaining. Before baby we had huge bashes that lasted into the wee hours, with fun themes and people driving from hours away to come. Eh, things change. But we would like to recharge our social life. We truly enjoy having people over, we just have to find new ways to do it.

We have a 2-year-old, so the best time of day for socializing is post-nap, at around 2pm. I would probably hire a babysitter just to keep her occupied so that I can see to geusts freely. I'm guessing Sunday is a good day for most people b/c Saturdays get booked with other stuff anyway.

So what is a Sunday 2pm party? Brunch? Lupper? Tapas? Ideas? Themes? Suggestions?

All welcome.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
party_music50

Sunday afternoon... just getting back into the swing of things... something fun...

How about doing a 'Soup Party'? Just make up batches of 4-5 different soups, keep them simmering on the stove or in large crockpots, and serve various toppers/additions, crackers, breads, etc. It allows people to sample at their leisure. They just sound like fun (I haven't tried one yet!). Very casual. Good for a Sunday afternoon, I'd think.

Bookmark   December 27, 2006 at 9:43PM
wantoretire_did

4 or 5 different soups, with a 2 year old??? How about a big pot of chili and corn bread/muffins; Maybe a salad? Keep it simple so you can enjoy.

Carol

Bookmark   January 8, 2007 at 9:03PM
labmomma

Lasagne - you can do it three days ahead. Assemble it after you put your little one down for a nap or for the night. Put in oven and forget it for hour and a half. Cut up romaine - can do ahead a put in ziploc bag with papertowel to keep fresh, use some good boxed croutons and ceasar dressing. Garlic bread. Have someone bring a dessert. If you don't want to ask someone to bring something, how about a serve yourself sundae or if you have a place near you that makes fresh gelati. Buy a couple of flavors of ice cream and toppings, voila.

Crack open a few bottles of red wine and have yourself a Sunday afternoon dinner with friends. Lasagne will serve 6-8.

Bookmark   January 9, 2007 at 3:16PM
krista123

Ah, yes, of course I've missed the obvious pleasers: chili and lasagne. Good ideas, so it's not odd to do this mid-day? Thanks for the ideas and suggestions.

Bookmark   January 9, 2007 at 8:42PM
party_music50

You had asked for ideas for themes, fun, etc. If you had asked for ideas for an easy ordinary meal I would certainly have answered differently.

wantoretire_did: I didn't realize that having a 2 year old meant that a person could no longer make multiple batches of soup. Thank you for setting me straight.

Bookmark   January 10, 2007 at 5:38AM
wantoretire_did

Of course it can be done, I was just trying to keep it simple.

Bookmark   January 10, 2007 at 4:10PM
craftfetish

I don't think mid-day entertaining is odd at all, though possibly less formal than a Saturday evening party. If the timing still feels weird, plan around an activity.

If you friends are the active sort - you could go to a park, rent canoes, play softball, have a snowball fight.

Less active - watch a football game, play board games, have a craft day.

Heck, have a "we spent all day Saturday raking leaves, come over and tell me my yard looks nice" party.

(Formal entertaining on a Sunday afternoon evokes high tea to me - I don't personally care for the little sandwiches, but it is another option)

Here is a link that might be useful: craftfetish blog

Bookmark   January 11, 2007 at 4:25PM
More Discussions
Gift for 80th. Birthday
We're invited to a restaurant for an 80th birthday...
suvgal
Questions about Murder/Mystery Games
Please tell me more about Murder/Mystery Games (apparently...
bizzybee
Disappearing Brunch Guest
I'd love to hear your responses. We had a brunch for...
newgardenelf
Help! Baby Shower Gift etiquette?
I need some help here as to proper etiquette. God this...
caboomer
Guests always bring along a dog
How would you handle this? My wifes long time friend...
Don_
Sponsored Products
Paradiso Decorative Fan - 12"
Grandin Road
Hillsdale Tabacon 50x50 Counter Height Table w/ Wine Storage Rack
Beyond Stores
Quoizel Bancroft Tiffany Style Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Fleur-di-Lis Black Holdback ,Set of 2
$23.95 | Bellacor
Ivy Cone in Holiday Wrap with Bow
$89.50 | FRONTGATE