uninstalling a ventless gas log

baboso2January 31, 2008

Just wanted to find out what I need to do to remove a ventless system and go back to burning wood. My wife can't stand the smell of the system we have and when we lost power for a week it was not fun living with the smell.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
haus_proud

I would hire a contractor who installs gas logs, either the one who installed yours or another one. They should be able to make a house call and give you a free estimate.

My guess is that removing or capping the gas line and opening the chimney by re-installing a damper that can be controlled instead of one that's fixed in the closed position should be not so difficult. But there may be other things that were done to your firebox that could be more difficult to reverse. Better get an expert to look it over.

Then there's the question of what to do with the gas logs. I would junk them because I don't think that kind of system should ever be installed, and my conscience would not let me profit by selling it to anyone. But if you can use it in a patio on your back yard or other open space, that might be worth considering.

Bookmark   January 31, 2008 at 6:25PM
More Discussions
Can woodstove clog a chimney in a month??
We had a Quadrafire 5100 woodburning stove insert installed...
kitasei
Recommendation on direct-vent gas fireplace?
Hi all, We are building a new home and plan to have...
kitchengirl
Couple of questions about installing stone veneer
Little background - original lava rock fireplace was...
rosebay
Hot wall
Hi , I've posted this here before but will try again...
salbwil
direct vent gas fireplace
Hello, I just bought a house and there is a Monessen...
shahgee84
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™