Easy but GOOD bread for a party of 25???

moo_November 4, 2007

Hi. I'm having a dinner party for about 25 and we're having roast loin strip roast, roasted potatoes and onions and I'm going to try a new creamed english pea dish as a side.

I need a delicious but easy bread to serve. I love the idea of dinner yeast rolls but making them is out of the question with all I have to do.

Can anyone recommend something that is pre made or close to it that would be really good?

Thanks, Moo.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindac

Make the rolls up to a week ahead and freeze them....reheat in the oven, wrapped in foil.
Mrs. AveryÂs Rolls

2C Scalded Milk, cooled to warm temperature
3T Shortening or Butter, Melted
½ C Sugar
1 t salt
2 eggs, beaten
2 pkgs yeast (or 1T bulk yeast)
1/3 warm water
4-5 cups flour

Dissove the yeast in the warm water (about 105 degrees) with a teaspoon of the sugar, wait until it foams. While waiting for the yeast to foam, mix the milk, butter, remaining sugar and salt. After the yeast foams, add the yeast mixture to it, and the two beaten eggs to the mixture. Either by hand or in a stand mixer, blend in flour a cup at a time until the dough is soft and fairly sticky. Turn onto a floured board and knead just until the dough is no longer sticky, but is smooth and satiny.

Let rise until doubled, punch down, knead a little, then shape into rolls. Bake at 350 until golden. May brush with egg wash or butter and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Also good rolled in butter and cinnamon sugar. Dough is a good base dough for a variety of sweet breads like cinnamon rolls or brioche.

Bookmark   November 4, 2007 at 11:24PM
moo_

Thanks! What a great idea.

So do I just thaw them out the morning of the party at room temp and then reheat or do I leave them frozen and then reheat?

Bookmark   November 5, 2007 at 9:45AM
lindac

Either way.....I usually thaw in the foil....and put into a 300 degree oven, still in the foil for about 15 minutes for thawed...or 25 to 30 for un-thawed.
Linda C

Bookmark   November 5, 2007 at 1:16PM
More Discussions
Mosquito problem
Our house is on 7 wooded acres; the mosquito problem...
cheerful1_gw
What would you do?
The setting: Ladies gathered for coffee and chatting......
kitykat
Disappearing Brunch Guest
I'd love to hear your responses. We had a brunch for...
newgardenelf
Awkward Baby Shower - Did I Handle It Correctly?
We've all experienced strange party situations, but...
Karen10125
Help! Baby Shower Gift etiquette?
I need some help here as to proper etiquette. God this...
caboomer
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™