jotul wood burning insert smokes
We bought a Jotul wood burning insert a few months ago and installed it ourselves (we've done it before)along with a new forever flex stainless steel chimney liner kit. Our stone fireplace is huge, with 36" depth firebox which would be great if the height were greater (we'd set a stove in it). All of the other minimum and maximum measurements required are within proper limits. We installed the liner with no problem, and the insert shouldn't be a problem, but the inserts chimney connection port is on the top of the unit. When the insert is positioned properly in the fireplace, the port is too far forward to even come close to the liner connection. So we had an adaptor fabricated to connect the two. It took three tries to get the fit right. Got it hooked up and have been burning good wood for about six weeks now. It doesn't draw as well as we think it should. We have to leave the door unlatched so it gets enough air to keep the fire going. So it's something you can't do and go to bed. Also no matter how slowly or partially you open the doors the darn thing smokes up the house. We think that because the offset adaptor had to be made to set it off so far, it decreases the drawing of air for the unit and creates the smoke problem. If there isn't a solution to fix it we are thinking about plan C. We are also remodeling the entire house (we just moved in this year). Downstairs, (the basement is being finished into several nice rooms,) is an area with an old woodstove that is 'under' the upstairs fireplace and has a brick wall behind it, block walls beside it & concrete beneath it. The old stove works great but we have planned on replacing it with a more efficient model. If we can't get the Jotul insert to work upstairs in the fireplace, can't we build a fireplace to set the insert into downstairs and hook it up to the chimney where there's plenty of space to make a good hookup? What would be the best method for building a fireplace area to set the insert into? We know there are issues with combustible products used, etc but need some advice on keeping this $3000+ investment from going up in smoke. Thanks for any input.