triple wall pipe to hot

balaobillJanuary 4, 2009

I have a wood stove in my shop eith triple wall pipe going thru ceiling and attic space thru roof. my problem is the outside of triple wall pipe is to hot to touch even for a second. I do not think this is normal. What would cause this pipe to get this hotand what can I do to remedy this problem.

thanks

bill

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
christopherh

It would depend on how hot it gets. Put a magnetic thermometer that you can get from your stove shop on it and take a reading. It should be somewhat hot to the touch. That's why you have rings and spacers going up through your roof. No part of your chimney should be touching anything combustable.

Bookmark   January 13, 2009 at 8:05AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hemlockjoe

I am not familiar with triple wall pipe. I have Metalbestos SureTemp stainless insulated chimney going through my attic. It's cold here in Massachusetts at the moment, and I have a hot fire going in my wood stove and the surface temp of the stove is just about 600 degrees (near the top end of the recommended range for a Jotul F400). I just used my infrared thermometer to check the temperaure of the chimney in the attic. It measures 54 degrees, while the nearby materials (rafters, plywood) measure 12 degrees. My sense is that a chimney in the attic that's too hot to touch is a sign of chimney failure, or perhaps the wrong kind of chimney for an attic. You may want to do some research over on hearth.com and perpahs pose a question to the experts there.

Bookmark   January 15, 2009 at 5:07PM
More Discussions
Do I need a fireplace in Southern California
I am in the middle of renovations in my town home and...
LARemodel
Installing New Granite Tile Over Old Granite Fireplace Surround?
Hi! On my fireplace surround do I have to replace the...
resipsa44
I need opinions on what to do with old fireplace
I have an old fireplace that needs a rehab badly. What...
jbryan21
Converting wood fireplace to gas fireplace
Help, I'm overwhelmed. Any link to a good site that...
nosoccermom
See-through fireplace
Does anyone have any experience with the Lennox Montebello...
aswansonid
Sponsored Products
Indoor Ceiling Fans: Westinghouse Solana 48 in. Brushed Nickel Ceiling Fan 72161
Home Depot
Calphalon Contemporary Nonstick 7 qt. Sauteuse Pan - 1876962
$99.99 | Hayneedle
Dillon White One-Light Fluorescent Pendant with Satin Nickel Canopy
$461.60 | Bellacor
Treluci Piccolo Floor Lamp by SONNEMAN Lighting
$1,650.00 | Lumens
Olive Branch Candle
$60.00 | Horchow
Single Loop Handle Chrome Kitchen Faucet
Overstock.com
Fire Onyx One-Light Fluorescent Mini Pendant with White Canopy