2 flues in one chimney-2 fuels?

mpintoJanuary 1, 2008

We have a fireplace in the cellar and one in the living room. The flues are in the same chimney. Can we put gas in one and wood in the other?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chelone

In my state you may have 2 woodstoves that share a single flue, but your furnace or boiler must be vented in a second flue.

I don't know if this the same across the country, but I rather suspect it is. I'll bet the building forum regulars could answer this for you.

Bookmark   January 2, 2008 at 6:21AM
jamesk

I'm guessing that the original poster meant that the two fireplaces have separate flues enclosed in one chimney. I have a similar arrangement in my house. Two fireplaces on different floors, one chimney, but two separate flues within a single chimney.

Alas, I don't know the answer for sure to the OP's question, it depends on what the local codes might dictate, but I'd guess that converting one fireplace to gas would be okay. It would pass muster where I live.

Bookmark   January 10, 2008 at 1:46AM
chelone

That confused me, too, Jamesk. In our garage, there is a thimble for a ground floor woodstove and a second thimble for a second stove upstairs. Both woodstoves will share the same flue. The furnace has its own flue. Code in our community.

Bookmark   January 12, 2008 at 10:47AM
mpinto

Thank you all. I did mean two separate flues within one chimney. I'll ask the town about codes.

Bookmark   January 12, 2008 at 7:53PM
brianc_bergerweb_com

I have one brick and mortar fireplace with steel firebox, tile flue inside the chimney, within brick chimney facid next to tile flue is empty space that is vented by a second chimney cap this vent /cap is not connected to an inside flue. What is the purpose of this second vent not connected to any tile flue?

Bookmark   April 23, 2011 at 10:37PM
SouthernChimney

As long as both flues are adequately lined you will be fine but check local codes to be sure. The most common problem you could run into is if flues have cracks, smoke and gasses can be sucked from one flue into an unused flue and into house. I would reccomend hiring a professional to do a thorough inspection of you chimney and especially the flue tiles or liners. You may also want to consider installing top sealing dampers to keep negetive air pressure from sucking the exhust from one flue down the other. You can find more info about this on this website www.southernchimneysweep.com

Here is a link that might be useful: Southern Chimney Sweep

Bookmark   April 28, 2011 at 10:26PM
More Discussions
Semi-detached home shared flue fireplace
Hi this is my first post to this forum so forgive me...
hiddentrails
direct vent gas fireplace
Hello, I just bought a house and there is a Monessen...
shahgee84
Does this old fireplace have options?
Hey everybody! My home was built in 1930 and originally...
Kristin Jennings
Converting wood fireplace to gas fireplace
Help, I'm overwhelmed. Any link to a good site that...
nosoccermom
Help me decide on a fireplace unit for new build
We are doing a gas Heatilator unit. Is there much difference...
brodyt
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™