brick fireplace

versatilegardenerJanuary 24, 2009

I have an ugly yellow brick fireplace in my den. I do not object to brick, but yellow brick is too ugly. The bricks are laid cantileverd outward up toward a narrow brick mantle; therefore I cannot cover it. I want to paint it white and add a wood mantle on top. What kind of prep do I need to do prior to painting and what kind of paint do I use? Also, can I paint the inside with fire=resistant black paint even though I will continue to build fires? The yellow brick is not painted yellow - it is made yellow.

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
breezy_2

Zinsser makes an excellent line of primers and stain blockers for most any application. They are the best I have used. I believe their Bulls Eye 1-2-3 product would work well in your situation. A couple coats of Zinsser and you should be able to paint with your choice final coat paint. I am no expert but I think oil based enamel would be the best paint. There is also a high heat paint (several brands you can find easily) for wood stoves/bbq grills/exhaust pipes etc that I have used on fireplace linings with great success. HTH!

Bookmark   January 24, 2009 at 11:24PM
More Discussions
Power for Fan
So I have a very nice Martin sc36 gas fireplace that...
ACwannaBe
Recommendation on direct-vent gas fireplace?
Hi all, We are building a new home and plan to have...
kitchengirl
direct vent gas fireplace
Hello, I just bought a house and there is a Monessen...
shahgee84
Vermont stove
I have a resolute acclaim stove and the sealer around...
edtrac
Fireplace Options?
Looking to put a wood burning fireplace in our new...
rmverb
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™