Lennox side vented gas fireplace odd smell

flseadogJanuary 3, 2010

Happy New Year, everyone! We live in central Florida and have a new Lennox gas fireplace in our greatroom. The last two mornings when we used it for the first time just to take the chill off we noticed an odor after a few minutes. It isn't a gas smell and it doesn't smell bad or as if something is burning. It's just that the house seems to smell different. The fireplace is vented out the side wall of the house and the outside part of the vent feels hot to the touch and the exhaust coming out of it smells the same as the slight odor in the house. Does anyone out there know what this means for our indoor air quality? Could there be something wrong with how the fireplace is vented? Does this sound dangerous? Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pnw_jan

If I understand you correctly this is the first time you have used the fireplace. If that is indeed the case, it is normal. You have to expect some odor with all heating units as they will need to "burn off" some of the surface finish on inside parts used in manufacturing. It will go away soon. I will bet that if you check your owners manual, they mention that. Mine certainly did.

Bookmark   January 11, 2010 at 2:53AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
flseadog

Thanks, pnw jan. Sadly, I'm always a case of "when all else fails, read the instructions." I never thought of that although I know that's what I had to do with my new oven. We've been out of town but I'll check the manual as soon as I get back. Thanks, again.

Bookmark   January 11, 2010 at 5:43PM
More Discussions
Help me decide on a fireplace unit for new build
We are doing a gas Heatilator unit. Is there much difference...
brodyt
Putting television IN firebox of fireplace
Long time lurker, first time poster. I've searched...
sherrgr
Travertine tile reface on fireplace surround & hearth
Help - We have torn down the old fake stone facing...
pennymw
Gas Fireplace question
We recently bought a second home, and it has a gas...
grapefruit1_ar
Napoleon Fireplaces - Be Careful
I purchased an expensive Napoleon fireplace last summer,...
joc6820
Sponsored Products
Black Round Accent Table
$139.99 | zulily
Chintaly Fielding Upholstered Dining Side Chairs - Set of 2 - CTY1325
$290.84 | Hayneedle
Bedroom Lamps: Cassiopeia 5 in. Aluminum Incandescent Table Lamp CLI-WDK281640
Home Depot
Stein World Willa Chest
Beyond Stores
Design House Ceiling Fans Millbridge 52 in. Energy Star Satin Nickel Ceiling
Home Depot