Lennox side vented gas fireplace odd smell

flseadogJanuary 3, 2010

Happy New Year, everyone! We live in central Florida and have a new Lennox gas fireplace in our greatroom. The last two mornings when we used it for the first time just to take the chill off we noticed an odor after a few minutes. It isn't a gas smell and it doesn't smell bad or as if something is burning. It's just that the house seems to smell different. The fireplace is vented out the side wall of the house and the outside part of the vent feels hot to the touch and the exhaust coming out of it smells the same as the slight odor in the house. Does anyone out there know what this means for our indoor air quality? Could there be something wrong with how the fireplace is vented? Does this sound dangerous? Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pnw_jan

If I understand you correctly this is the first time you have used the fireplace. If that is indeed the case, it is normal. You have to expect some odor with all heating units as they will need to "burn off" some of the surface finish on inside parts used in manufacturing. It will go away soon. I will bet that if you check your owners manual, they mention that. Mine certainly did.

Bookmark   January 11, 2010 at 2:53AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
flseadog

Thanks, pnw jan. Sadly, I'm always a case of "when all else fails, read the instructions." I never thought of that although I know that's what I had to do with my new oven. We've been out of town but I'll check the manual as soon as I get back. Thanks, again.

Bookmark   January 11, 2010 at 5:43PM
More Discussions
Xtrordinair Fireplace
We were directed to a local shop selling this product....
Lutha
Hot wall
Hi , I've posted this here before but will try again...
salbwil
replacing wood burning stove with wb fireplace, will it work?
Living room had a wood burning stove. There's a 6"...
petecon
Jotul Kennebec
Well today is day two with my new Jotul fireplace insert...
turningpoint
Gas fireplace that looks real in new build
Yes I know everyone want their gas logs to look real....
asyrp43
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™