Drafty Fireplace

blakeasJanuary 9, 2010

I have a home built in 1986 in Atlanta, GA.

It is a gas starter fireplace in which in can burn real logs. There are no gas ceramic logs.

Well here in the winter cold air pours out of the thing. Last year I installed glass doors but air still comes out into the family room.

The flue is closed but is there anything I can do about it?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mdeleon

I have the same issue. I don't think there is a control for a flue for me though as it's only gas and not wood capable. The fireplace is a heatilator. I feel the cold air rushing in all the time.

Bookmark   January 14, 2010 at 11:45AM
sunnytop

I hear ya.

Bookmark   January 17, 2010 at 1:39AM
gamomof2

We have the same problem with our glass doors. My solution, although not attractive, was to cover the opening/glass doors with a towel and electrical tape. It helps a lot and I just remove it when we're having company. Have you hear about a fireplace balloon? It looks like an interesting product.

http://www.amazon.com/Fireplace-Chimney-Balloon-Large-Pillow/dp/B0001HA8MC

Bookmark   February 6, 2010 at 7:30PM
toolbabe

Nice idea, but is it UCL (and in Canada CSA) approved?

Seems counter intuitive to stick flammable material up a chimney. I suppose it'd be OK if there is only one flue and only one fireplace. But if the fireplace flue hooks up to a chimney where there are other flues, for example the central heating or another fireplace, then I think this type of gadget could cause more problems than it could solve.

Just a thought.

Bookmark   February 25, 2010 at 10:56AM
farmhand213

We put a few of these chimney balloons in fireplaces that we don't use much. These 2 fireplaces use the same chimney structure but have separate flues. In my dealing with building codes that is the way they are suppose to be. You cant have two devices sharing one flue. (i.e. water heater sharing fireplace flue) at least you shouldn't have this type of setup anyway or it could backdraft fumes into the house.

The idea with the balloon was to stop the cold like what you guys are talking about, and they did that. The direction said if you light a fire under the balloon on accident, it will pop and fall out.

We did have these flues stuffed with fiberglass but that didn't work well to seal them because they were still cold with fiberglass in there.

Here is a link that might be useful: chimney balloon damper

Bookmark   March 1, 2010 at 11:41AM
More Discussions
1st timer needs pellet stove guidence
The wife and I just bought a new single floor 1800...
bksinaz
How can I update this 60s facade?
The home I'm buying was built in 1959 and I don't think...
demeterchaos
Help me decide on a fireplace unit for new build
We are doing a gas Heatilator unit. Is there much difference...
brodyt
Couple of questions about installing stone veneer
Little background - original lava rock fireplace was...
rosebay
do you recognize this stacked stone?
I would like to install stacked stone and found this...
rosebay
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™