nesco roaster

columbusgardenerNovember 9, 2008

I hurt my back and I am really anxious about cooking a turkey in the oven this year. Have any of you cooked a turkey in a nesco and had it come out like they would if they were roasted in the oven?

can I still stuff it? should I put it up on a rack? gosh making reservations is starting to sound so much better....

any help would be welcome

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindac

I have cooked a turkey in an electric roaster....more than just a few times. It's fine...yes you can stuff it and Yes I put the turkey on a rack.
Linda C

Bookmark   November 9, 2008 at 9:58AM
columbusgardener

I had to ask - just because the manufacture says its so means nothing to me anymore..

thank you Linda - from the middle of my back

Bookmark   November 9, 2008 at 10:45AM
dalepar

Use a rack. My mother used a Nesco type roaster (I don't know what brand it was) in the 50's and 60's to cook her turkeys at the holidays. They came out great, and did get a nice brown skin. My sister in law did one in a new Nesco a couple of years ago, and did not use a rack. The juices collected around the turkey, and it ended up being a boiled turkey!! Tasted okay, but the texture was strange.

Bookmark   November 13, 2008 at 1:16AM
wantoretire_did

If my link doesn't work, do a search (entire site) and you will find several long threads on the Nesco roaster which are totally favorable. I recently bought my first one and love it!! Ordered it directly from the manufacturer as there were none that I could find locally.

Here is a link that might be useful: Nesco roaster threads

Bookmark   November 14, 2008 at 5:44AM
kathleenca

Amazon.com has good prices & selections of Nesco & other brands of electric ovens.

Here is a link that might be useful: Roaster ovens on amazon.com

Bookmark   November 14, 2008 at 2:47PM
mommacass

Our church just held their annual Turkey dinner today. We cooked 16 turkeys in roasters and they turned out great. We just seasoned them with S & P, added about 1/2 gal. water and cooked at 350 for about 4 hours. The skin doesn't really brown but it tastes great. BTW we cooked a total of 40 turkeys and fed 1100 people!! whew... what a day!

Bookmark   November 20, 2008 at 8:33PM
suska6184

I second what mammacass said. I did my Christmas turkey in a Nesco roaster a few years back. It tasted fine, but I did not have any luck with browning. To me, that has some appeal, so I use the roaster for other things, but not my turkey anymore. If a nice roasted skin isn't a major factor for you, the Nesco will get the bird cooked just fine.

Bookmark   November 21, 2008 at 11:03AM
More Discussions
Awkward Baby Shower - Did I Handle It Correctly?
We've all experienced strange party situations, but...
Karen10125
Mosquito problem
Our house is on 7 wooded acres; the mosquito problem...
cheerful1_gw
Guests always bring along a dog
How would you handle this? My wifes long time friend...
Don_
Holiday dinner with divorced inlaws.
Once again it is a holiday dinner coming up and I always...
grandmamary_ga
High School Graduation Party
We are planning my DD's HS graduation party and I was...
crystal01
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™