retirement party, who hosts?

poolownerOctober 31, 2007

question on retirement party. Stupid question but I will ask anyway. Who should "throw" a party for someone who retired. Husband/wife of retiree or children of retiree?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindac

Anyone who wants to....but most often it's the employer on the last day of work....but often there is a bigger bash thrown by the retiree...and/or the spouse.
Linda C

Bookmark   November 1, 2007 at 1:04AM
cheerful1_gw

poolowner: it's a good question. My husband is eligible for retirement next year, and I want to throw him a party. My question is, who do I invite so it doesn't get out of hand?

Bookmark   November 1, 2007 at 8:46AM
sudiepav

What a great question! I've been pondering this for a couple of years. I'm a teacher, retiring in June '09. Typically, at our school, good friends of the retiree plan a party, send out flyers and those who choose to come pay $25 a head for dinner. The entertainment is either testimonials or comedy skits. I LOATHE this and certainly want nothing of it when I retire. I am thinking of having the staff and a few other friends in education come to my house after school one day for an open house/happy hour kind of thing. I've been there too long to just sneak away without notice (my first choice), so I think I'll set it up myself and thus do what I want. I think those retiring in business have a myriad of possibilities. Someone "important" to the firm may get a big bash. In a small company, often the retiree is just taken out for dinner by close associates. I think it's all over the map. This sounds like a good topic for discussion.

Bookmark   November 1, 2007 at 10:59AM
poolowner

I always thought it was something that your spouse would do since he/she would know all the people to invite, especially if it were a suprise to the retiree. It could be a joint venture with other family members of the retiree, but mainly the spouse would start the party planning. As for the office/work party, that would be a smaller version, usually during the day or right after work and would only include work associates, not family & friends of the retiree.
Any comments?

Bookmark   November 2, 2007 at 6:48AM
kushy28

No comments, as normally I haven't seen or done any retirement party for family members.I thought it would be for the people who go for work for their good service.

Bookmark   March 14, 2013 at 2:25AM
lodalady

Our CEO is retiring at the end of this year, after 40 years of service. Our BOD is hosting a party for all employees and retirees. I don't think it matters who hosts the party, as long as the guest of honor is involved in the planning.

Bookmark   July 26, 2013 at 3:54PM
More Discussions
What would you do?
The setting: Ladies gathered for coffee and chatting......
kitykat
Preparing Roasted Chicken Beforehand
Hi! I have been reading posts from here for a while,...
Bev.Linda
Going to dinner as a guest tonight
My husband asked our host and his latest girlfriend...
ilovepink
Tipping a Personal Chef
I've been given a gift of having a personal chef come...
msbrandywinevalley
Adult party games wanted
Anyone know of games to play at adult only parties?...
good36
Sponsored Products
Ariadni Incandescent Light Dimmer by Lutron
$19.00 | Lumens
American Drew Tribecca Dresser w/ Landscape Mirror in Root Beer Color
Beyond Stores
American Drew Tribecca Leg Nightstand in Root Beer Color
Beyond Stores
American Drew Tribecca 3 Piece Bookcase Bedroom Set in Root Beer Color
Beyond Stores
American Drew Tribecca Drawer Chest in Root Beer Color
Beyond Stores