Exercise and ornery knees

lynne_melbDecember 22, 2005

Has anyone had success in using exercise to reduce knee pain?

Since I have pooches, I'd like to be able to walk them. Docs have not been helpful. I have bone on bone on bone in one knee. I'm in my 50's and the recommendations have been "Wait until the pain is severe enough that you want the knee replaced. Nothing else to do. Don't walk for exercise if it hurts."

If anyone has found an exercise program that works for them, I'd greatly appreciate hearing about it.

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
devorah

I haven't found anything that improved my knee, but I have found exercises that don't aggravate the condition. I just started Tai Chi and I am hoping that might have a positive effect. I have always stood with my toes pointing out and I am learning not to do that. I find that Tai Chi pays much more attention to a proper stance with regard to my knee than does Yoga - but that may be just my experience.

Bookmark   December 23, 2005 at 11:47PM
lynne_melb

Thanks Devorah,

I'm now trying shorter walks and they seem to be working.
Good luck with the Tai Chi. I used to travel for work. It was interesting to see parks in Hong Kong filled with people practicing Tai Chi.

Bookmark   December 31, 2005 at 12:42PM
Meghane

You may get some relief from joint supplements like glucosamine/chondroitin +/- MSM. You have to use them for 6 weeks to see if it helps. I've been using them for almost 4 years, since I got a dog with really bad knees, and it helped her, so I started taking them too. It's not a huge difference- I still can't run- but I can walk pain-free now, even up stairs.

I've found that weight training helps a bit, specifically leg curls and leg extensions. I think you can do them at home with exercise bands, but I do them on machines at the gym.

Bookmark   January 1, 2006 at 8:38PM
chitown_hoosier

With no cartilage in your knee nothing will help except a knee replacement.Weight loss will help but getting there with no pain is probably not going to happen.Bike might work better than walking for you.Good luck.

Bookmark   January 2, 2006 at 9:58AM
More Discussions
anti-aging
hello, looking for anti-aging products. Ideas?
tiggervan
The food Villains! -- please join in
I'm not exactly sure when it all started, but it seems...
celestial
Total Gym, workouts for weight loss
Hi I am a 52 yr.old (overweight)male who has a total...
popellis
Is it okay to drink coffee while on green juice fast?
Planning to do this green juice fast,veggie juicing...
starraffy
Is riding a Bike really good excercise?
I know that riding a bike is good for your legs but...
netshound
Sponsored Products
MIO Alpha Strapless Heart Rate Watch
$199.99 | FRONTGATE
Gym Flooring: Groovy Mats Flooring Yellow 24 in. x 24 in. Comfortable Mat (100
$1.99 | Home Depot
Stamina InStride Total Body Cycle 135 - 15-0135
$69.99 | Hayneedle
Medley Hairhide Rug 5'3" x 7'5" - BRINDLE
$1,589.00 | Horchow
Oil Rubbed Bronze Two Handle Lavatory Faucet
MR Direct Sinks and Faucets