Swing Trade? Day Trade?

sailfishJanuary 10, 2005

Whats the difference between Swing Trading and Day Trading? Or are they the same? Whats the line in time that seperates Long term and Short Term trades?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
southboundtrain

Never heard of swing trading. My guess it is some sort of chart-based trading strategy. Day-traders normally close out all of their positions by end of day. For tax purposes Long-term is a one year holding period, anything less is short-term.

Bookmark   January 15, 2005 at 12:30PM
john_wc

Late with my response but if you are still around...

Daytrading means buying and selling the same market day. Daytraders typically use 1, 3, 5, 10 or 15 minute charts. I use 5 minute bars.

Swing trading is typically done on daily charts. You may hold for several days, weeks or months. All depends on what the market gives you.

Position trading is based on weekly charts. This form of trading is closet to investing because the in/out trades tend to be weeks/months or even years apart, again depending on the market.

If you want to learn to trade, please post and I will post ways you can get started.

Bookmark   September 26, 2012 at 2:35PM
r3venton

I would not recommend either. Id read the intelligent investor by benjamin graham. Be an investor not a speculator.

Bookmark   November 18, 2012 at 1:58AM
More Discussions
Any advice for a lady whose husband hides $?
I am a widow and used to doing for myself. I have a...
topsiebeezelbub
What is the fair ratio?
The living expense is paid between the couple (Husband...
azmom
Family Banking Concept, anyone heard of it?
I did a search here and did not see any similiar thread....
rjinga
help!!! advice needed asap for 2nd mortgage
I need to take out $30,000 in equity for desperately...
gigigirl1
I NEED to vent!
I am so UPSET Just received a notice from my credit...
KarenPA_6b
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™