DVD rec's for stiffening overweight 50 yr old

marys1000December 17, 2006

I herniated a disk almost 2 years ago, hit 50 this summer and am overweight (put on 30 pnds when I quite smoking 5 years ago and never took it off).

But my biggest concern is how stiff I've been feeling. I can almost feel my back turning into a dowager's hump and I am starting to feel sort of "froze up". Also from sitting at work with a mouse I am starting to feel decidely lopsided. (The highest setting on the chair doesn't seem to keep me from leaning to one side).

So- recommendations for a DVD that concentrates on posture and limbering up, gently?

Thanks,

Mary

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
socks

Mary, do you have a YMCA or other gym near you? These places often have a wide variety of classes for people who need to start a slow, gentle stretching or exercising program. My YMCA has two: Forever Fit and Easy Does It. A DVD gets so very boring, the same thing over and over, and if you can make it to a class with other people, it is much more fun and motivating. In these classes you just do what you can, even if it's move your little finger! You modify what you can do, and then eventually you can do more. The classes I attend have a very wide range of abilities.

Congratulations on getting off the ciggies. Wonderful!

Bookmark   December 17, 2006 at 12:57PM
jenn

Sounds like you have a sedentary lifestyle..... daily (or almost daily) walks and gentle stretching exercises will do wonders to limber you up. You'll be amazed how much better you will feel. Walking is the most natural exercise and if you walk at a brisk pace and swing your arms (i.e. not let them hang limp as you walk) you'll be moving those joints.

Jen

Bookmark   December 17, 2006 at 9:57PM
clg7067

Okay, don't cringe, but I use Richard Simmons' Sweatin to the Oldies in my basement. Okay, I'm still overweight and 50-ish, but it always makes me feel better to exersize. The nice thing is that his videos work for all levels of fitness. Believe me - I know! :)

I'd rather walk, but that's not always possible.

Bookmark   December 18, 2006 at 2:15PM
angep

Collage video has some that may work for you. I have linked you one

Here is a link that might be useful: Say Goodbye to Back Pain

Bookmark   December 19, 2006 at 9:36AM
devorah

I have had various tapes over the years, but nothing I stuck to. I agree with trying to find a group to exercise with. I actually look forward to going and I am a major internet junkie and couch potato. I also have a recumbent exercise bike in front of the TV. It isn't good looking but I do use it if it is there. My motivation comes from being diabetic. I have no desire to lose my eyesight, my feet or my marbles.

Bookmark   December 19, 2006 at 7:14PM
More Discussions
In need of a great workout!!
We are in need of the machine that would give you the...
tonib40
Help!
I have cancer and osteoporosis and have damage to lymph...
Dweezil
I want to start doing Yoga, is this something would I be able to
Hello Friends, I would like to start doing yoga, but...
Orneved
How much iron supplement?
I see a slow release iron 45mg -- one a day -- take...
chisue
Herbalife Nutrition
Is Herbalife Nutrition more beneficial than prescription...
lisamerryy
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™