Those ugly, flabby triceps

junkyardgirlNovember 25, 2007

How old do you have to be before you can't improve that area? I'm mid 50's, and mine are getting bad. I've always been pretty thin, but I gained 20 lbs. in 2 years, and I'm afraid if I lose a lot of it, my triceps will just flap in the wind! Can a 50-something actually tone up her underarms?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
devorah

If you figure it out, let me know. I am 60, but my arms have been flapping in the wind for quite some time now. I lift weights and spend extra time on my triceps, but the results in that area are negligable even though my arms overall look better.

Bookmark   November 25, 2007 at 10:49PM
coleen3201118

Anyone can tone their arms or any other part of their body. While you need to do toning exercises (kickbacks, etc), what is really flapping in the wind is unfortuantely, bodyfat. So in order to see your toned triceps, you will have to get rid of that. It's a tough battle; one I struggle with daily!

Bookmark   December 9, 2007 at 9:20AM
devorah

I respectfully disagree. It is most often stretched out skin that is flapping in the wind and nothing short of surgery is going to cure that unless you are still young enough to have skin with some elasticity in it. Losing weight will actually make the problem worse - though still worth it for your health. I am sixty. I have been lifting weights for 3 years, concentrating particularly on the triceps. Nothing has happened nor will it. There is so little testosterone left in my body that I can't effectively build muscle that would fill the empty skin left from losing weight. Oh well. That's what sleeves are for.

Bookmark   December 12, 2007 at 7:22PM
linnea56

I used to look at my Mom's flabby arms and say that I would never let mine get that way. She was not overweight but did not exercise. I get a lot of upper body exercise and both my triceps and Biceps are quite muscular. But: now I am 50ish, I see my Mom's arms reappearing...on me. I just have flabby underarms showing below the muscles! If you have the genes for loose skin in that area I don't think there is much you can do. I just try not to flap my arms around in public! Just work on the muscles and keep your arms down, lol.

Bookmark   December 18, 2007 at 3:37PM
soon2b.stepmom

Unfortunately when you get to a certain age arm flaps are difficult to make go away. I would suggest combining using some good lotion or cream on your skin (to add a bit of elasticity) as well as doing tricep exercises. Keep in mind that even if it is loose skin, you can always fill some of that loose skin with muscle to reduce that flap as well as get a toned look. Good Luck!

Bookmark   January 3, 2008 at 6:15PM
momcat2000

Look into Denise Austin's arm exercises.
It took me about 5 months but I can now wear sleeveless tops.
Start now and you'll be ready for the summer....Mom

Bookmark   January 5, 2008 at 1:47PM
zoewolf

I recently lost about 40 lbs. and now weigh around 100-105 lbs. (I am 5'5" and 53 yrs. old) I don't have the flabby arms you talk about, however I do have extra skin in the weirdest place -- it's right above where you bend your elbow. I asked my doctor about it, and he said that yes, it is probably caused by my weight loss (I thought that maybe it was just because of my age) and yes, it "may" disappear. I think he was just being nice. It is kind of gross though.

Bookmark   January 17, 2008 at 3:59PM
starz

I lay on my back, bend my arms and lift myself up and down. almost like a backwards pushup. I am in my 40's and my 18 yr old tells me my arms look better than some kids at his school:) I am in a size 5. I don't eat sugar or white flour but my big secret is eating healthy protein bars that taste like healthy fudge here are me and friends before and afters http://s260.photobucket.com/albums/ii34/lookingood07/
I eat a protein bar for breakfast and lunch with healthy snacks in between until dinner. I have lost weight and look better know then I have in years:)

Bookmark   May 23, 2008 at 4:08AM
More Discussions
The food Villains! -- please join in
I'm not exactly sure when it all started, but it seems...
celestial
Broke leg --so how to lose weight without exercise?
I am bedridden for awhile...am 70 pounds overweight...
momofanna
Do Ab Machines Shown on TV Really Work? - Report from ABC News
This was at ABC News' website... Friday December 14...
MrsJim
Is it okay to drink coffee while on green juice fast?
Planning to do this green juice fast,veggie juicing...
starraffy
A Physical Therapist Told Me
MY DH goes to a physical therapy gym several times...
jannie
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™