Any opinions on teeth whitening?

Ginny_CaNovember 14, 2003

I am interested in having my teeth whitened. My dentist told me about two methods-the first method requires me to wear trays an hour a night 3-4 times a week. The other is a one time laser light treatment that last for approximately 6-12 months. I was wondering if anyone had an opinion of which method would be better.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kathyg7777

I don't have any knowledge of these techniques, but the one time treatment sounds easier! Do you know what the cost comparison is?

Bookmark   December 15, 2003 at 5:30PM
blueheron

I had the treatment using the tray and it wasn't cheap - $250.00. It did work, though. However, my daughter just bought the teeth whitening system over the counter and it worked for her. Don't have any experience with the laser method.

Bookmark   December 16, 2003 at 6:35PM
chinacat_sunflower

the bleaching systems- ALL of them- are short-term fixes unless you folow them up with having those whiter teeth bonded- which is pricey, but would be worth it if it really mattered that much... but then, if it really mattered, none of us would ever touch another cup of coffee ; )

from what I have seen, the over-the-counter strips work just as well as the slime-in-a-mouthpiece methods, at a tenth the price...

and I'm noticing that my friend (who used to be a dental hygenist, and is now an aesthetician with a string of certificates) won't go near them, sell them, or recommend them to any of her clients...

that tells ME all I need to know.

Bookmark   January 8, 2004 at 11:58AM
beautygirl

I used an at home kit after I quit smoking. The results were amazing. I wouldn't smile a lot because my teeth were yellow from smoking. I think it depends on how bad the teeth are discolored. Mine weren't very bad. If they are badly stained, a professional solution may be needed. The kit I used says it's good for lightening the teeth up to ten shades. This is what I use:

Here is a link that might be useful: GoSmile

Bookmark   April 20, 2007 at 11:51PM
shaun

I just finished up a box of Crest Strips and they worked very well. A friend of mine even noticed how white my teeth were and she didnt know I had used the strips.

These were twice a day for 30 mins each time. And use for 7 days. It did say results could be seen in 3 days and it was right.

Highly recommended.

Bookmark   April 21, 2007 at 8:48AM
sammiefields2517

Well if you're looking for teeth whitening, I ordered a free trial just the other day. I'm yet to try it but it seems quite promising. Here's the link: www.illumi-brite.com

Here is a link that might be useful: www.illumi-brite.com

Bookmark   October 21, 2010 at 8:13PM
earthygal52

Most of the Teeth whitening systems use Hydrogen Perioxide. You can buy a bottle of it and use Q-tips to apply it and leave on for about 30 min. Also, brushing with Baking Soda works pretty well. A lot CHEAPER than all this other stuff!!!

Bookmark   December 26, 2010 at 1:34PM
vala55

I would like to correct a misconception about stains on teeth at least according to my dentist. I thought my tea drinking had stained my teeth and the dentist's hygienist told me teeth do not stain. When you see a stain it is stains on the tarter build up. When she was finished cleaning the stains were gone. The dentist confirmed this when I questioned him.

The only thing I know about whitening teeth is that reports are coming in about thinning enamel due to whitening. I have seen a few celebs on TV and their teeth are white as snow. It is what your eyes immediately go to instead of the face of the person.

Bookmark   January 8, 2011 at 1:51PM
More Discussions
patellofemoral syndrome, knee pain questions
Does anyone here have patellofemoral syndrome, which...
bug_girl
Elliptical owners-AFG4.1ae
I have just purchased one of these machines and am...
BatocheBob
Help!
I have cancer and osteoporosis and have damage to lymph...
Dweezil
A Physical Therapist Told Me
MY DH goes to a physical therapy gym several times...
jannie
I want to start doing Yoga, is this something would I be able to
Hello Friends, I would like to start doing yoga, but...
Orneved
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™