Sodium diet?

wozkyNovember 30, 2007

I've been hearing that a few organizations are now up in arms about high sodium diets, and there may be a cap on the amount that's put in some foods. Has anyone tried a low sodium diet for reasons other than high blood pressure? Supposedly keeping salt out of your system helps blood flow and allows for healthier living.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jannie

I am on a sodium restricted diet for kidney disease. There's "hidden" salt in many foods, notably celery, instant flavored coffee, soups, and ALL fast foods, even doughnuts. Learn the sodium counts of your food, you'll be surprised!

Bookmark   December 1, 2007 at 12:56PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cecilia_md7a

Although high blood pressure is no longer an issue for me, I have tried to keep my sodium intake low because salt bloats me! I'm so vain!

Note that the guidelines for high blood pressure have changed: yours should be BELOW 120/80 to be considered healthy. 120Â139 over 80Â89 is now considered prehypertension. Just when you though you were safe ...

Seriously, though, sodium may also increase your risk of osteoporosis, according to the National Osteoporosis Foundation, and the National Institutes of Health Osteoporosis and Related Bone Disease National Resource Center.

Bookmark   December 4, 2007 at 1:55PM
More Discussions
anti-aging
hello, looking for anti-aging products. Ideas?
tiggervan
green tea for weight loss
Has anyone tried drinking green tea to lose weight?...
cheesecurlgurl
Elliptical owners-AFG4.1ae
I have just purchased one of these machines and am...
BatocheBob
Which brand of canned pineapple has least tin-can-taste?
To me there's a very strong tin can odor in canned...
jally
Do you own a masticating juicer?
Just bought an Omega and I was wondering if you peel...
msrose
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™