how do you serve crackers?

girlwithaspirinOctober 2, 2006

A totally inconsequential question, but...

I was serving cheese and crackers yesterday. I've got a simple wood cheese tray (with built-in blade) from Crate & Barrel. The crackers ended up on a plate.

Any ideas beyond the old basket with elasticized fabric? My style is more modern, and I can't help but see that as country.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindac

I have several "classy" baskets...one is an Indian basket...another a bamboo basket and another is a palm basket shaped like a stack of crackers.
But I am in love with the boards that Ann finds and don't mind a stack of crackers spread out on the end of one of them...
Linda C

Bookmark   October 2, 2006 at 10:29PM
sudiepav

I often put them in a basket, lined with a cloth napkin. I also have a long, skinny stainless steel tray which is perfect, or I put them in a small wooden bowl. I've seen in stores and at parties a clear plastic tray, specifically designed for holding crackers. I might want one of those....

Bookmark   October 3, 2006 at 10:36AM
lowspark

If you're looking for something more modern (I agree the baskets with elasticized fabric say "country" to me), how about a square plate? I've been seeing a lot of square plates in stores recently. I think it's perfect for crackers, as you can line them up on the square (or rectangle). I did this the last time I served crackers, and I served two different kinds, which I alternated in columns on the square. Simple, modern and it works well.

Bookmark   October 4, 2006 at 9:38AM
woodie2

I love to pick up odd sized decorative plates at Marshalls/Homegoods and I think they're perfect for crackers, I'm not a basket person either :-) I did recently find a stainless or chrome wire basket that I thought was nice (at Marshalls of course) and I use it with a cloth napkin for bread at the table, but I'd use it for crackers for a larger group. I also like a wire basket lined with wax/butcher paper - they do this in a restaurant I go to and I keep forgetting to buy the right kind of paper - its not regular cut-rite wax paper but stiffer. I also use a pretty Japanese soup bowl for crackers sometimes, it doesn't hold too many but its perfect for the 2 of us.

Bookmark   October 4, 2006 at 4:55PM
natal

I use baskets with cloth napkins or square plates. What is elasticized fabric? I don't think I've ever come across that presentation. Reminds me of a fitted sheet.

Bookmark   October 5, 2006 at 10:54PM
lindac

You're right, it is rather like a fitted sheet.
Hi, natal, nice to "see" you again.
Linda C

Here is a link that might be useful: basket liners

Bookmark   October 5, 2006 at 11:32PM
ilovepink

I use a basket sometimes.

For the most part I have lots of pewter and silver trays that I will arrange them on. I try to stream line my color choices of serving pieces to white, glass, pewter and silver so that I can interchange china with them. It really helps!

Bookmark   October 11, 2006 at 6:08PM
publickman

I use , preferably with a pedestal. I also make the crackers myself.

Lars

Bookmark   October 28, 2006 at 6:26PM
cortina

Lars,
Your crackers look beautiful, want to share how you make them? Thanks for the nice idea on how to display. I am going to copy your idea for Thanksgiving. Very nice.

Bookmark   November 1, 2006 at 8:02PM
labmomma

Nice Lars! Yes, please share the cracker recipe - looks yummy!

Bookmark   November 2, 2006 at 11:28AM
More Discussions
What would you do?
The setting: Ladies gathered for coffee and chatting......
kitykat
Worst visit ever
A friend and I were going out today, we live in different...
BGOS
Centerpiece advice - White hybrid LA lilies
reposted in the Home Decorating Forum Here is a link...
bbstx
Guests always bring along a dog
How would you handle this? My wifes long time friend...
Don_
Mosquito problem
Our house is on 7 wooded acres; the mosquito problem...
cheerful1_gw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™