American Thanksgiving in Switzerland

Michelle_SwitzerlandOctober 20, 2002

Hi - well, i've been living in switzerland for around three years now and haven't celebrated Thanksgiving since before then. I'm thinking about throwing a Thanksgiving party (with turkey, etc - but not a sit down dinner) for all my Swiss friends and colleagues (we're all between the ages of 23 and 28), and wonder how I can make it really fun. I'm looking for silly decorating ideas, yummy recipes, game ideas, anything to make the evening memorable and a blast. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mqmoi

You'll find some great Fall recipes at the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fall recipes.

Bookmark   October 21, 2002 at 11:56AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
emmaemmac

Hi!
I'm currently in Poland and thinking about the same thing. I lived in Sweden around Thanksgiving two years ago and made Thanksgiving dinner at my house. I had chicken (couldn't find turkey), dressing, rolls, jell-o salad, and fake pecan pie (with oatmeal instead of pecans because I couldn't find the pecans). I didn't really decorate except for some candles but if you can find pumpkins that would be great.
I think non-Americans are most interested in the real traditions of Thanksgiving. I would think back to what you used to do when you were really little (think elementary school) for Thanksgiving. These would be great ideas for your Thanksgiving in Switzerland. For example, my family would always go around the table and say what we were thankful for so I made my friends do the same thing. If you wanted to do some activity, you could have them do a craft like what schoolkids make. (like tracing your hand and then making a turky out of it)
Good luck!
Emma

Bookmark   October 22, 2002 at 1:34PM
More Discussions
Tipping a Personal Chef
I've been given a gift of having a personal chef come...
msbrandywinevalley
Disappearing Brunch Guest
I'd love to hear your responses. We had a brunch for...
newgardenelf
Starting a no shoes rule
I live in New York City and am about to move into a...
jadend
Planning ahead: graduation
My oldest is graduating college in May (yeah!). His...
jewelisfabulous
Going to dinner as a guest tonight
My husband asked our host and his latest girlfriend...
ilovepink
Sponsored Products
Desert Sage Linen Paige Barstool
Cost Plus World Market
American Heritage Armono Collection Bar in Weathered Oak
Beyond Stores
Mouchette Two-Light Flush Mount Ceiling Light
$133.95 | Bellacor
Designers Fountain 4967 Opal Essence 2 Light Bath Bar in Chrome Finish - 4967-CH
$66.20 | Hayneedle
American Silk Flannelsuede Grey Fabric
$103.00 | Viesso
Cape Cod Area Rug
Home Decorators Collection
Hearth Rectangular Braided Area Rug
Home Decorators Collection
Ocean Coral Cheese Board
$175.00 | Horchow
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™