Appetizer suggestions?

beachbumOctober 24, 2002

Friends just (as in Wed night) invited themselves over for drinks and appetizers on Friday. I don't mind, but it will be our first get together in our new home and I had wanted time to plan something special...

Anyhoo I imagine there will be 10-15 people that will show up between 7-8. I don't want to get too involved with casseroles and and I don't own chafing dishes. I would love suggestions for filling and easy finger food apps.

here is what I'm planning so far:

artichoke dip w crackers

fresh salsa w chips

hummus or lentil dip w crackers

crab cakes with dipping sauce

thoughts?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
colleenoz

For hot appetisers you might go with curry puffs or sausage rolls, if you want hot ones that is and have the time to make them. Mini-quiche also go over well as do bite size pizzas. Otherwise I'd have some fresh vege sticks for dipping in the hoummous instead of crackers, for a little variety from the crackers with the artichoke dip and the chips with the salsa.

Bookmark   October 24, 2002 at 11:33AM
lindac

Buy a couple of nice cheeses and some interesting crackers and put them out....and add some fresh veggies to go with your dips. And how about "ham kebobs"...chunks of ham strung on bamboo skewers with chunks of pineapple. Mix dijon mustard equal parts with honey, brush the kebobs and heat for about 10 minutes in a 350 oven. They're great hot....and good even after they get cold....
Linda C

Bookmark   October 24, 2002 at 3:03PM
chase_gw

BeachBum, congrats on the new home!

I see you have 3 dip type nibblies, all of which sound yummie, so anything else you choose should probably be non dippy!!! The crab cakes are a great choice.

I'm assuming you both work so we need to help you with low prep ideas. A cheese and crackers plate, as Linda mentioned, is always a hit. Add a pate or two to make it special!

Another idea might be an antipasto plate, roasted red peppers, a selection of olives, artichokes, marinated tuna, You can buy most of the offerings, ready made, at any good deli or grocery store.

Bookmark   October 24, 2002 at 5:15PM
jenn

Do you have a crock pot? How about pre-cooked meatballs in a sauce of equal parts chile sauce and grape jelly. It's goooood.

Bookmark   October 24, 2002 at 8:11PM
LYNN4

How about a nice pumpkin dip with some ginger snaps? I don't have the recipe handy, but I know it's on allrecipes.com. Adds a nice sweet touch and very autumn-like! Have fun!

Bookmark   October 24, 2002 at 10:47PM
mqmoi

Krasna just posted a thread of many recipes for dips and snacks on the Recipe Exchange. And, have a look at the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Favorite hors d'oeuvres

Bookmark   October 24, 2002 at 10:48PM
lindac

Actually it was CampbellUT who started the thread.....
Lots of good stuff there.....
I keep copying Sharon's boursin....must have 5 copies on this computer!
Linda C

Bookmark   October 27, 2002 at 8:09PM
mqmoi

Read for content Linda. :) The thread with the good stuff is the one I linked.

Bookmark   October 29, 2002 at 11:36AM
More Discussions
Young teens and birthday parties
Anyone on here a parent of a young teen (13-14 years...
jewelisfabulous
Two sides to every RSVP
Deleted This post was edited by Jewel654 on Sun, Dec...
jewelisfabulous
Disappearing Brunch Guest
I'd love to hear your responses. We had a brunch for...
newgardenelf
Adult party games wanted
Anyone know of games to play at adult only parties?...
good36
Planning ahead: graduation
My oldest is graduating college in May (yeah!). His...
jewelisfabulous
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™