Need Ideas for Gift for Sick Person

dexx215October 20, 2004

Don't know where else to post this, but our friend (70 year old man) is in hospital for knee replacement and I need an idea for a gift for him, but not flowers, or candy as he's diabetic. He has lots of pocketbooks to read, and I am at a loss as to what to get for him. Any ideas? Need answers asap, as he was called in unexpectedly yesterday and we are leaving town tomorrow. Thanks in advance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindac

Well, since he will be using crutches for a while....and likely wearing shorts, how about some jazzy sox?....Maybe with pumpkins.....or whatever you can find. Another thought is one of those things that hang on a walker or crutch that allow you to carry stuff.
With knee replacement, they want you moving and walking a mile a day in about 10 days....out of bed in less than 24 hours.
Maybe an interesting cane? I have a friend who just had her 4th knee replacement ( no she's not a quadruped....but the first was a very long time ago) and she loved a gifts of a jazzy cane...lucite with sparkles etc. For a man there are neat carved ones....etc.
Linda C

Bookmark   October 21, 2004 at 7:01PM
ArabellaMiller

How about some books or music on tape or CD? He can listen while he's in bed and while he's walking and exercising.

Bookmark   October 23, 2004 at 7:56AM
JessyFeldm_speakeasy

WebTV and a membership to GardenWeb?

Bookmark   October 25, 2004 at 7:02PM
joann23456

And, depending on his situation, a casserole might be good.

Bookmark   October 28, 2004 at 1:55AM
michie1

A friend of mine was a recent amputee & she's in a rehab place & I had to give her a Hanukah gift. She has MANY healthproblems including being diabetic & I got her sugar free Whitman's chocolates (she says they are good) & a blue & ivory poinsettia.

Michie

Bookmark   December 11, 2004 at 11:09AM
rosecmd

How about a bag of toiletries like shampoo, lotion, nail clippers, deodorant, powder, etc? A nice soft robe or pajamas, pre-paid phone card, or non-slip slippers would be good also, or a book of crossword puzzles. When you get back, it would be nice to make meals for freeze for him to heat & eat.

I've worked in hospitals, and often what I thought would bother me most if I was hospitalized, besides boredom, is that it's so hard to maintain hygiene -- washing hair, clipping and maintaining nails, shaving, etc., that and the awful food! An offer to help with whatever he needs would be most helpful I'm sure. Hope he has family to help him and look out for him while he's hospitalized and during recovery...

Bookmark   December 27, 2004 at 7:45AM
rtsbstone1

I have a great website you can visit. Hugswithlove.com This is a new website and it has wonderful blankets to send. I have a friend who has been in and out of the hospital and I sent a blanket, and then the tote. She loved the gift at home and for hospital visits. When she was out of bed she used the blanket to keep warm, she said it was just enough. Her husband said it washed up beautifully. The tote held the blanket and a few magazines. She is doing well now and still talks about the blanket. I have even given a few to my friends who are becoming first time grandparents. I love the site. Maybe because I am chilly often but I bought a blanket to keep on the couch at my house as well.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hugs with love

Bookmark   September 23, 2007 at 4:19PM
sergen

Dear me, this is an ancient post! Nevertheless, I think a nice gift would've been some kind of place setting or perhaps a dinner tray or even a lovely glass or cup. I know this sounds daft at first, but such a gift can go a long ways to making someone feel at home, even looking forward to going home or getting better to enjoy their dinnerware! Try it and see!

Bookmark   September 27, 2007 at 5:51PM
More Discussions
Going to dinner as a guest tonight
My husband asked our host and his latest girlfriend...
ilovepink
Help! Baby Shower Gift etiquette?
I need some help here as to proper etiquette. God this...
caboomer
guests who just won't leave
I couldn't find a thread on this topic, so here goes... I...
swampwitch
Centerpiece advice - White hybrid LA lilies
reposted in the Home Decorating Forum Here is a link...
bbstx
Holiday scheduling.
Am I justified? I invited my entire family including...
rjexit5
Sponsored Products
Taylor Tote Personalized
$315.00 | Horchow
Chrome Rain Shower Head and 16 Inch Stainless Steel Shower Arm
TheBathOutlet
Grand Reserve Cherry Bathroom Wall Cabinet
Overstock.com
Illumine Wall Mounted 1-Light Wall Mount Lantern Walnut Patina Finish Clear
Home Depot
Bedroom Table Lamps White Flower Ceramic with Fabric Shade
ParrotUncle