How to help son (14) lose weight safely

maymoOctober 22, 2005

My son is about 5' 8" and weighs 185 lbs. He is slightly depressed about his weight and this breaks my heart. His activity level is medium-low. He loves to sit at the computer and/or tv. Some of the things we are doing are: We have cut way back on fast food, we have less sugary, fattening foods in the house and more fruits, whole grains, etc. and we do some family activities that require physical activity on weekends. I don't know how to diet and my weight is average; I have been doing some exercises in the hopes of good modeling. We have some exercise equipment in the house that he uses occasionally. My hubby did Weight Watchers with great success and is thinking about joining again with our son. I was wondering if Atkins would work but I don't know anything about it. Any help? THANKS!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ruthieg__tx

Any good diet plan would probably work but truthfully I think Weight Watchers is the best overall plan and especially for a kid...With Weightwatchers he can have anything to eat as long as he is will to give up the points....not a good habit but at least he can have the occasional treat and still be on plan....If your husband already knows the WW's plan, they could do it together without even joining WW's again unless that is something they wanted to do..There is a ton of WW info on the WWW.....

Bookmark   October 22, 2005 at 3:36PM
besh

Hi Maymo,

I also have a 14 y.o. son who up until this summer was a little on the chunky side. He is not a real junk food eater and can so no to sweets. I think his biggest splurge is Doritos and Pepsi. I think most of his weight came from the fact that he loved to eat good food and got little or no exercise. This summer he started working out, lifting weights and doing the treadmill because he wanted to play football this fall. The weight has literally fallen off of him. He still eats good, but I have noticed a decrease in his appetite. He looks terrific and feels really great about himself. I guess my advice to you would be to really encourage the activity. Maybe get him a bicycle. I also got my son a YMCA membership. It is $18.00 a month, which I think is a minimal investment for his well being. 14 is an age where boys really have some growth spurts also. He may grow a few inches and not gain any more weight.

I do WW and think it is the healthiest and most humane program out there, if you need to follow a program. I would not think that Atkins would be a good plan to follow, especially for a young adult as it cuts out food groups and that is never good for any age.

Good luck. I think it is wonderful how you are helping your son with this!

Besh

Bookmark   October 22, 2005 at 4:44PM
besh

It is supposed to read "say no to sweets". Thats what I get for not proofing before submitting!

Bookmark   October 22, 2005 at 4:47PM
Wild_Chicken

I'm on board with the Weight Watchers plan for teens. You'll probably need a note from the doc for him to join, but it's a healthy way to lose.

The alternative is Jenny Craig's teen program. It's more expensive but the food is already planned and prepared and it is a no-brainer and includes a great accountability program for exercise.

Good luck to your son! It's great you are modeling good exercise behavior - in the long run, exercise is what going to keep his weight in check. Walking is a great way to talk with your son and get some calories burned as well!

Bookmark   October 24, 2005 at 10:45AM
More Discussions
Need a diet buddy
Okay, I'm starting over again on my diet this year,...
Wheezie123
the fast diet
i'm trying it with great optimism....really makes sense...
mmajicmann
6 Week Body Makeover Program??
Just wondering....has anyone ever used Michael Thurmond's...
janet_ks
New low-carber here
Hi, everyone-- I wanted to introduce myself and see...
Repol
Cinnamon & Honey Articles
There are so many worthwhile articles on cinnamon &...
pink_warm_mama_1
Sponsored Products
Thirsty Tea Cup White - Tse & Tse
$34.00 | HORNE
Garnet Garden Rug 9'9" x 13' - RED
$2,889.00 | Horchow
Glitter Angel Figurine Set
$47.99 | zulily
Ingo Maurer | Johnny B. Good Pendant Light
$660.00 | YLighting
Thermocast Kitchen Cambridge Undermount Acrylic 33x22x10.5 0-Hole Double Bowl
Home Depot